This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

The Canadian-Desi identity mixes Desi and Western, so why can’t your playlists be too? 

Chalo, here are some Desi songs that will fit right into your playlists by giving them a little Desi touch!

1. “Khwab Dekhe Sexy Lady” by Pritam, Neeraj Shridhar and Monali Thakur

This song can be added to your “getting ready” and “girl boss” playlist or a set of tracks you listen to when you want to feel confident. This song will make you feel like you are on top of the world. How can you not feel like a girl boss? And come on, with Pritam’s slick voice, this is a beat you can definitely vibe to! Honestly, this song is an automatic playlist adder! 

2.“Saibo” by Sachin-Jigar, Shreya Ghoshal and Tochi Raina

This is a song that needs to be added to your upbeat playlist. Shreya Ghoshal is on it; need I say more? This song demands you sing along, especially if you’re a hopeless romantic! When they sing the lyrics, “Slowly. Slowly my eyes and my heart started liking him. Slowly… Slowly he appears very close to heart..” you will be reaching for your phone to add it to your playlist ASAP!

3. “Gham Khushiyan” by Rohanpreet Singh, Neha Kakkar, Arijit Singh and Rana Sotal

Are you a fan of pop? A fan of Arijit Singh? With his recent hit songs, Kesariya” and “Jhoome Jo Pathaan,” you already know this song will be just as amazing! If you love pop and Desi culture, this song is perfect for your pop playlist to sing at the top of your lungs.

4. “Taare” by Tanishk Bagchi and Rashmi Virag

Again, another pop song that deserves more attention. Oh, and hopeless romantics, I’m calling you out again. You are going to absolutely adore this song! I have translated one of the lyrics, “The way my heart beats, does yours too? … All the stars that there are, all belong to you. The only thing that is mine is your heart.” It is basically Hindi poetry! You are going to be playing this song on repeat, I mean, on repeat.

5. “Droptop” by AP Dhillon, Gurinder Gill and Gminxr

This song is all rap, and hip-hop fans will love it! With his amazing rap and killer vocals, AP Dhillon is like The Weeknd for Desis! Not to mention, he’s also an Indian-Canadian, and with his amazing lyrics, what’s not to like?

6. “Kho Gaye Hum Kahan” by Jasleen Royal, Prateek Kuhad and Kumaar

Are you looking for something Lo-fi? If you are, this song or anything off of the soundtrack from the Bollywood movie Shershaah is for you. I mean, the Shersahaah soundtrack was so good that Bollywood stars Sidharth Malhotra and Kiara Advani even got married to the hit song “Ranjha”! “Kho Gaye Hum Kahan” will put you in your feels while also allowing you to sing your heart out at the same time!

7. “Pyar Humein Pyar Tum” by Udit Narayan and Alka Yagnik 

This song may be old, but it is still such a fun bop! It totally gives a party and wedding vibes. Play this song and dance around like no one is watching. If you ever want a dance party with your Desi parents, this song is for you. But if you are looking for less of a throwback song, “Paagal” by Badshah or “Dilliwaali Girlfriend” by Pritam, Arijit Singh and Sunidhi Chauhan (can we also talk about Deepika Padukone in that video? Um, gorgeous!) are also great choices! 

8. “Samjhawan” by Jawad Ahmed, Shaarib Toshi, Arijit Singh and Shreya Ghoshal 

Listen, it’s normal; we all get in our feels sometimes (I’m looking at you, romantics). Add these songs to your “waiting for my soulmate” playlist to feel all the song’s emotions. 

9. “Maan Meri Jaan (Afterlife)” by King and Nick Jonas 

Yes, you read that right — Nick Jonas! This song is the Bollywood-Western crossover we have all been waiting for. This remix of King’s original version is amazing and a bop that will have Jonas Brothers and Desi fans singing along. Check out Nick Jonas’ Instagram account to see him dancing along too!

All in all, Desi songs are so diverse and versatile. Add them to any playlist; I promise you won’t regret it!

Ranika Persaud

Toronto MU '25

Writer, 3rd year Biomedical Science student, Grey's Anatomy lover.