This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

See the blooming cherry blossoms 

Catching a glimpse of the cherry blossoms is a must during the spring in Toronto. The city is famously known for its many parks that house cherry blossom trees. Cherry blossoms are most commonly found at High Park, Etobicoke’s Centennial Park, Trinity Bellwoods Park and Woodbine Park—among other city spots—and are best seen in late April and early May when they reach peak bloom

Catch some entertainment 

Be sure to check out some of the great entertainment put on in the city this time of year. Cirque du Soleil is returning to Toronto with KURIOS – Cabinet of Curiosities from April 14, 2022, until July 17, 2022. Or, if documentaries are more up your alley, check out the Hot Docs Festival, showcasing the newest documentaries from around the world from April 28, 2022, through May 5, 2022. 

Get fresh food from farmers’ markets

Nothing says “spring has sprung” better than getting fresh produce from the farmers’ market. Toronto is home to many great farmers’ markets that you can visit in the early morning or stroll through on weekends. Be sure to check out the Leslieville Market or the Saturday morning markets at Evergreen Brick Works and St. Lawrence Market. Here is a complete list of Toronto markets.

Embark on a city bike ride 

Nothing says “embracing spring” more than taking in the fresh air on a bike ride. Toronto has many biking trails to pedal through. Some local favourites include Tommy Thompson Park, a 10km paved trail and the waterfront Martin Goodman Trail. You can also rent a city bike through Bike Share Toronto for as little as $3.25. 

Attend a food festival

Experience all of the culture Toronto has to offer by attending a food festival. Some noteworthy festivals to release your inner foodie include The T.O Food & Drink Fest, the Lakeshore Village Grilled Cheese Challenge, Foodalicious and the Taste of Little Italy. Food festivals typically begin in early spring, with even more set to take place before in the summertime– be sure to stay on the lookout for more food festival announcements.

Watch a sunset on the lake

Witness the lengthening of the days by watching a sunset behind the Toronto skyline. The great thing about watching the sunset is that you don’t need to find the perfect spot to do so; there are great views from everywhere in the city. But, here are some local favourites in case you want to level up your sunset watching skills: Riverdale park, Chester Hill Lookout, Polson Pier, Sugar Beach and Tommy Thompson Park. 

Shop around a flower market

If food markets aren’t up your alley, take a look at the Toronto Flower Market. With dozens of vendors selling colourful arrangements, the market is set to return for the first time since the pandemic. It occurs monthly from May through October, beginning May 7, 2022. Debuting on Mother’s day weekend, the market also makes for a great activity to spend time with your mother. 

Visit Toronto Island

Located just a 13-minute ferry ride away from the city core, Toronto Island is home to many family-fun activities in the spring. Take a swim at one of the many beaches, partake in a walking tour, rent a bicycle, visit a restaurant, or go on a ride at the Centreville Amusement Park. Ferry tickets can be purchased online ahead of your trip. This makes for a great full-day activity whether you are visiting with friends, family or children.

Vanessa is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus at Toronto MU and is a third-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. Born and raised in the Greater Toronto Area, she grew up curious about the world around her and asked far too many questions. During her spare time, Vanessa can be found watching the latest reality show, cooking a new recipe, or fantasizing about her next vacation. Find her on Instagram and Twitter @Vanessattiberio