This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Going back to China after the fall semester has perhaps been one of the most enjoyable ways to celebrate the end of a year. Before the trip, I suspected Beijing had changed a lot in terms of urban development and infrastructure. After all, I haven’t visited the city for over a decade. But once I landed in Beijing, I was shocked by how big the city was. Toronto felt like a mini suburb compared to it. Moreover, I witnessed other cultural shocks throughout the trip. 

So, if you’re planning to visit Beijing in the upcoming year or so, fear not; it’s better to be prepared than never. Here are six tips to navigate Beijing: 

1. Make a WeChat or Xiao Hong Shu account, and ask your friends to sign up. 

We all know that Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and TikTok aren’t available in China. So, the only way to keep in contact with your friends is to make an account on a social network which can be accessed from China.

Some good options include WeChat or Xiao Hong Shu. Once your friends create an account, you can add and update them throughout the trip. Then, you won’t have to worry about the hassle with email. 

2. People are always on the go 

In Beijing, people are always rushing everywhere. Even if you get off the subway, you’ll see people running around. Some of them may bump into you accidentally, but don’t worry about it — it’s just the nature of being in a city with a large population. 

3. Know at least intermediate Mandarin 

Although Beijing is the capital of China, it’s almost impossible to survive without knowing at least some Mandarin. The apps, resources, and tourist directions are usually all written in Mandarin.

And what happens if you need some help with directions? Chances are, the average person on the street will probably not be able to hold a full conversation in English. Therefore, developing a good command of Mandarin certainly helps in terms of navigating difficult situations. 

4. Beware of the washrooms

I would always try to avoid public washrooms in Beijing: Not only are they unkempt, but there are barely any sitting toilets. Instead, you will have to stand or squat, which is something that can be rather inconvenient.

Moreover, some public washroom facilities may not even have toilet paper, so make sure to bring your own. 

5. Beware of scams

One thing that’s particularly known amongst foreigners about Beijing is the amount of shopping malls. Literally, there’s a huge shopping mall on almost every corner and street in Beijing. Some of the most popular malls include Sanlitun, Xidan, and Silk Street. 

However, wherever you go shopping, stay vigilant because you may get scammed. The Canadian government has even advised its citizens on this issue, especially in their travel advisory to China.

Many of these scammers target foreigners and will often ask others to accompany them to a restaurant or pay for a personal service. Whenever someone approaches you and asks you similar questions, kindly refuse their offer and walk away. 

6. Regardless, there’s a lot to do in Beijing 

Beijing is a city for every personality type; it combines history and innovation, education and culture, and fashion and tradition. If you are into Chinese history or politics, you can visit Zhongnanhai or Tiananmen Square. And if you’d rather visit a heavily concentrated business district, feel free to visit Guomao. If you’re a fan of shopping, you’ll fall in love with Beijing due to the variety of clothing styles. 

Overall, Beijing is for the adventurous traveller who aims to learn more about China’s history and current economy. That’s why I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Beijing, as it was where I was born, and I’ll be sure to return soon. 

Candice Zhang

Toronto MU '26

Retail Management student at TMU who loves coffee and writing more than people.