This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

With finals season right around the corner, it can be hard to catch a break. Every minute is spent studying, revising notes, or cramming last-minute papers.

You might not have had the time to pick up a book in a while. Or maybe you never picked up one, to begin with. Regardless of your situation, I’m here to provide you with some simple tips on how to read more!

1.Create A Routine

The first tip is creating a routine. Having a routine set in place for when you want to read is going to guarantee that you will read. Try reading every night before bed or first thing in the morning. But remember, it takes 21 days to create a new habit. So, give it time, and I promise you, it will be worth it.

2. Set Goals

Similar to creating a routine, you need to set goals. This can be as simple as reading 15 minutes a day, or 100 pages by the end of the week. Find a realistic goal that will keep you motivated and determined to read every single day. Adding a prize for finishing a book never hurt, either!

3. Swap Screen Time For Reading Time

When most people have free time, they tend to turn to their phones, laptop, or tv. An easy fix to read more would just be to swap your screen time with reading time. You’ll be surprised by how much time you really have to read. You can also try reading on your commute instead of scrolling on your phone or listening to music.

4. Take An English Class 

Another excellent way to read more is to take an English class. I know this might not be manageable or feasible for everyone, but it is a great way to read more books. English classes force you to read something (usually) out of your comfort zone and allow you to figure out which books you like and those you don’t. It’s also a great way to analyze and deepen your understanding of a book.

5. Join A Book Club

Joining a book club is another great way to read more. Having the pressure of reading a book by a certain date is good motivation to finish a book. Book clubs allow you to talk to other people about the same book and share your opinions. If joining an in-person book club isn’t your thing, you can still get inspired by online celebrity book clubs. Check out Oprah’s Book Club, or Reese Witherspoon’s Book Club for more reading inspiration!

6. Be Motivated By The Books Themselves

Another great way to get you reading more is to be motivated by the enjoyment of the books themselves. Here are a few to get you started: 

Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None.

Maeve Binchy’s Circle of Friends.

Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird. 

Joy Fielding’s Cul-De-Sac. 

Happy reading!

📚 Related: Five Books That Just Might Change Your Life
Julia Gianfelice

Toronto MU '25

Julia is a second year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University.