6 Lessons That ‘Friends’ Has Taught Me 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Friends, one of the most beloved sitcoms from the ’90s, features a group of six friends who endure different avenues of life, love and laughs together. 

Through all 10 seasons of the hit television show, we saw the characters work as servers at Central Perk, sing “Smelly Cat,” get married (and divorced), and even achieve their dream jobs as actors, chefs or working at Bloomingdale’s. 

Wherever life took them, Rachel, Ross, Phoebe, Joey, Monica and Chandler were inseparable and always there to help each other through both the good and the bad times. There are a lot of things that I have learned from watching (and rewatching) Friends

Here are six life lessons the TV show has taught me. 

Rachel taught me that it’s okay to put myself first and be selfish sometimes 

The Friends series kicks off with Rachel running into Central Perk in a wedding dress and reuniting with Monica after she leaves her ex-fiance, Barry, at the altar. What started as Rachel putting her happiness first turned into her creating lasting and meaningful relationships.  

Ross taught me to try to understand situations from different perspectives and remain optimistic 

It is safe to say that Ross does not take it well when he finds out his best friend and his sister are dating. However, he quickly understands how much they love each other and supports their decision to be together.

Phoebe taught me to always be myself

Whether it be in the way she runs while flailing her arms around or her ability to happily sing her songs anywhere in public, Phoebe is always unapologetically herself, making me realize that it does not matter what other people think about me — all that matters is what I think about myself.  

Joey taught me to be there for my friends

Building friendships is one of the most important things in life. Joey’s true character shows when he buys Chandler a chunky, gold friendship bracelet, eats Rachel’s thanksgiving trifle without complaint, and continuously keeps Monica and Chandler’s relationship a secret, even when it causes him to be the centre of awkward mishaps. Everyone deserves a friend like Joey, so we should all become more like him. 

Monica taught me to chase my dreamS, even if that means taking an unconventional path

Before she became the head chef at a restaurant, Monica had various jobs within those 10 seasons, including running a catering business with Phoebe and working as a roller-skating waitress in a diner. But she never lost sight of what she wanted and was not afraid to go for it. 

Chandler taught me to never take anything too seriously

Through his punchy and humorous one-line responses, Chandler is the first one to try and lighten the mood or joke around to cope with awkward situations. It’s okay to laugh when things don’t always go according to plan. Sometimes, laughing at yourself and finding the bright side can be the best way to get through a challenge.

Rachel Aversa

Toronto MU '23

Rachel is a 4th-year journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. When she isn't studying, she enjoys baking cookies, reading romantic (and cheesy) novels, and listening to Harry Styles.