samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Shows and Movies to Watch On Netflix Instead of Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

By Daelle Shannon

Ah, back to school! The perfect time to get out grind going and do essays well ahead of time! Orrrrrr, we could do a little Netflix and chillin’ and take a study break from all our back to school stress. Here’s a list of six Netflix shows and movies that are perfect for the early fall weather!

1. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

If you have yet to see this adorable, coming-of-age rom-com, I suggest you do so immediately! Lana Condor stars as the eclectic, shy Lara Jean who pens secret letters to her crushes, that have only ever been read by her. Until they’re mysteriously sent out and she must deal with consequences of what happens when the boys start to come a-knockin’! Starting with her sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh, played by Israel Boussard, and the most popular guy in school, Peter Lavinsky, played by the swoon worthy Noah Centineo.

2. Sierra Burgess is a Loser

As a longtime stan of Shannon Purser, I have anxiously anticipated the release of this movie. It’s also the perfect cure if you’re having a Noah Centineo hangover. Shannon plays the titular Sierra Burgess who teams up with her popular bully to “pose” as herself, and win the affections of Centineo’s Jamey, after they fall for each other online. It’s cheesy it’s adorable, and Purser’s performance is refreshing AND she’s a plus-sized lead!

3. Riverdale

If you haven’t watched Riverdale and you miss the beloved trashy drama staples of Gossip Girl and Pretty Little Liars, look no further. Riverdale draws on nostalgia, neo-noir, and provides PLENTY of drama in it’s first two seasons. And with the third season slated to start this October, now is the best time to catch up!

4. Bojack Horseman

Despite it being a show about an anthropomorphic horse, Bojack Horseman has provided pop culture with one of the most realistic depictions of depression and mental illness, all while still being a quirky and genuinely funny satire. The fifth season is set to premiere this month, so I’d say prioritize this one and DEFINITELY have tissues on hand.

5. Disenchantment

Fans of The Simpsons and Futurama could not be more divided on this show, but I am on the side of enjoying it. Disenchantment is unique as it mashes high fantasy with lowbrow humour. Essentially, it’s a show for the common folk that focus’ on a alcoholic princess spurning the misogynistic role her father is intent on keeping her in. While the plot can lag at times, it’s loaded with great one liners and expertly utilizes the comedic timing of Abbi Jacobson (Broad City), as Princess Teabeanie “Bean”, and Eric Andre (The Eric Andre Show) as Luci, a demon she’s been cursed with.

6. Big Mouth

Why not slip into a bubble bath and watch this hilarious coming of age romp through puberty? I know what you’re thinking, “UH, I’d rather not relive the worst experience ever.” But Big Mouth is endearing with it no bearings, and holding nothing back, which just makes Nick Kroll’s depiction of puberty all the more realistic and entertaining! The second season is also set to premiere this fall, so if Bojack Horseman is too big of a  time commitment, a mere six hours will catch you up in time for Big Mouth’s season two premier.

So there you have it! Six shows to watch instead or doing- er sorry, WHILE you’re grinding through all your textbook work and readings!

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.