Culture > Digital

5 Student-Produced Podcasts You Have To Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Whether it’s to keep you company on a long walk, to inform you of current events, to ensure that you stay motivated or to make you burst out laughing when you most need it, podcasts have become a great way to keep us entertained and educated. And what’s better than listening to podcasts produced by your very own peers?

Here are five student-produced podcasts you need to add to your playlist:

1.The DirtyChai Podcast

Recent X University (formally known as Ryerson) Journalism graduates Dania Ali and Nivedita Mohanraj, spill the chai on current events and discuss cultural stereotypes and norms, all through the lens of their South Asian and desi roots. From Bollywood movie references to mental health and body image issues, the conversations are riveting, informative and well worth a listen.

2. Podcast with Strangers

Have you ever considered the fact that your best friend, who you now cannot live without, was once a complete stranger to you? Pondering this question, RTA media production student Mathushan Sugirthanraj, created Podcast with Strangers in hopes of turning strangers into friends by interviewing random people on the street about relatable topics. These range from the hardships of heartbreak to the warmth of Thanksgiving.

3. Bounced

A six-part series, Bounced was created by fourth-year RTA media production student Sam McNulty, to showcase and discuss the audio production work of her peers. The episodes follow different formats, from a standard interview style to roundtable discussions, and highlight noteworthy student projects by allowing listeners to meet the students and staff behind the production.

4. Pull Quotes

Produced and run by the Review of Journalism masthead, Pull Quotes examines issues affecting the Canadian journalism industry, with episodes on the perspectives of journalists, professors and experts in the field. From exploring innovative journalism practices with X University professor Adrian Ma and alumni Adam Chen, to discussing the fine line between activism and journalism with Desmond Cole, Pull Quotes is sure to get you thinking about the ever-changing media landscape. 

5. Hey! Hi, Who are you?!

From a baker to a fashion designer, a skier to an engineer, Creative Industries graduate Merike Hess, sits down with a new guest every episode. She discusses their journeys, challenges and inspirations through each guest’s unique story.

Pooja Rambaran

Toronto MU '22

Fourth year journalism student Pooja is a writer of all things news and culture, avid Netflix watcher and self-proclaimed iced coffee connoisseur.