This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

If you go through Union Station regularly, you have probably seen the not-to-be-missed advertising campaign from Pluto TV. The words, “Stream now, pay never,” stick with you. At least, they did with me. It turns out some advertisements do work. I downloaded Pluto TV to see if it was really worth the hype. Spoiler alert: it is.

With what seems to be an infinite number of channels to stream, it can be overwhelming to choose what to watch. Below are five channels I recommend starting out with if you want to give Pluto TV a chance!

Entertainment section: Supermarket Sweep channel

My favourite out of all the channels, this particular channel plays nonstop reruns of the 1990s versions of Supermarket Sweep. This popular game show involves three pairs of contestants answering trivia questions to accumulate as much time as possible before competing in a race (also known as the Big Sweep) to stock up their carts with anything from the supermarket. Whichever team had the highest value of items in their cart had the chance to compete in the Bonus Sweep to win an additional $5,000.

Fast-paced and thoroughly entertaining, after watching one episode of Supermarket Sweep, you will find it extremely difficult to stop. Fans of Jeopardy will enjoy the first part of the show, where contestants buzzer in to answer trivia questions regarding their knowledge of groceries. And if that’s not enough, if you catch the earlier reruns from the early 1990s, host David Ruprecht’s colourfully tacky (and, dare I say, stylish) sweaters are not to be missed.

Movies section: Pluto TV Drama Movies channel

If you are a fan of all things drama, Pluto TV Drama Movies is the channel for you. This channel can be hit or miss compared to many other channels that play never-ending reruns of one show. The other day my all-time favourite rom-com, Frankie and Johnny (1991), was on.

From Kevin Costner’s Draft Day to Whoopi Goldberg’s The Long Walk Home, you can also watch these movies in the On Demand section at your leisure. Of course, if you’re not a big fan of drama, there’s also the Pluto TV Comedy Movies channel!

Food section: Nonstop Chop channel

I once had a middle school substitute teacher that would play back-to-back Chopped Canada episodes whenever she taught our French class. Needless to say, she was the greatest substitute teacher I ever had. Having never watched Chopped before, I was mesmerized by the intensity of the cooking show.

When I explored Pluto TV, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Nonstop Chop channel, where episodes of Chopped Canada play 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Divided into three rounds: appetizer, entree and dessert, four chefs are given a basket with unexpected and unique ingredients they must include in their dishes. After each round, three celebrity judges decide which contestant gets “chopped.” The winner receives $10,000 and the title of Chopped Canada Champion.

Classic TV section: Happy Days channel 

Are you a fan of classic sitcoms? The Happy Days channel is one of the best as it shows not one but three shows created by Garry Marshall: Happy Days, Mork and Mindy and Laverne and Shirley. All hilarious in their own right, this channel is a definite go-to whenever you need a laugh. That said, seeing Robin Williams kill it as Mork in Mork and Mindy tops them all.

Pro-tip: If you go to the “On Demand” section, you can stream the first three episodes of Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy to get a feel for the show. 

Kids section: Nick Pluto TV channel

One word: iCarly. That itself should convince you to get Pluto TV.

If you are ever feeling nostalgic for your childhood, stream the Nick Pluto TV channel to watch reruns of iCarly, Victorious, Henry Danger, The Fairly Odd Parents and more! 

So, I think it’s fair to say you should give Pluto TV a try. While it might not have the newest shows and movies, it is free and pretty entertaining, with a diverse range of content. What are you waiting for? 

Amanda Noor

Toronto MU '24

Amanda Noor is a fourth-year Creative Industries student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She's a huge movie and TV buff and American history and political junkie. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can find her watching sitcoms from the 80s and 90s or daydreaming about living in New York City.