Life > Experiences

4 Places to Visit In Brazil (And What You Need to Know Before You Go)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Now that we are starting to see the light at the end of this pandemic with travel restrictions easing, you could already be planning your next international trip. So, as a born-and-raised Brazilian, I am here to introduce you to a few amazing travel destinations in Brazil! 

Brazil is one of the biggest countries in the world and it is located near the equator. Because of this, the weather tends to be considerably warmer and more consistent throughout the year. It’s a great place to visit if you like the beach; you can probably go all year long. 

Florianópolis 

A few of my favourite beaches in the southern part of Brazil are in the city of Florianópolis (or Floripa for the natives). Different from some other places in the country, the beaches in Florianópolis are usually cleaner and the water is colder. It is also a great place for surfing. 

Besides the great beaches, Florianópolis is known for being the Island of Magic. There are many myths and legends surrounding the history of the city, and even some stories from Brazilian folklore come from the beaches and rivers in Florianópolis. Real or not, the beaches are certainly enchanting and worth checking out! 

Brasília

Speaking of history, this next place is for those who enjoy learning about it. Brasilia is the capital of Brazil, and like many other capitals around the world, it has a lot of history, including plenty of museums and old buildings. 

The interesting thing about Brazil’s capital is that it was built in the very centre of the country. This was done fairly recently: The construction of Brasilia began in the 1950s. Brasilia’s project was developed by architects Lucio Costa, Oscar Niemeyer and Joaquim Cardozo in 1956. These three men are responsible for the modernist architecture and urban planning of the city that makes Brasilia such a cool place for sightseeing. 

São Paulo

Another wonderful place to visit is São Paulo, the largest and most populous city in Brazil. Like any other big cosmopolitan city, São Paulo hosts people from all over the world. It also has big buildings with modern architecture and amazing restaurants!

Culture is a big part of what makes São Paulo such an important city. It is where most of Brazil’s cultural development happens and where many great museums and works of art are placed, such as the São Paulo Museum of Art and The Museum of the Portuguese Language. 

São Paulo is the heart of Brazil not only because of its economical and cultural importance but because of its history. São Paulo was very prominent in the 1890s during the coffee economic cycle in Brazil, and was one of the first to be industrialized. 

Paulista Avenue is one of the places you must visit in São Paulo. It is one of the largest avenues in Brazil and serves as a symbol of the economic and political power of the city. The avenue is also a great shopping area and houses South America’s most comprehensive fine-art museum, the São Paulo Museum of Art. On most Sundays, the avenue is closed to cars, allowing people to walk around and explore on foot. 

São Paulo is a great place for those who come from a big city and want to feel at home in a different country. It is also great for those who want to absorb a lot of Brazilian culture at once. 

Rio de Janeiro

Last but not least is the Cidade maravilhosa or “marvellous city,” one of Rio de Janeiro’s nicknames. The city is known for its beaches and natural attractions, such as the Corcovado Mountain, where the statue of Christ the Redeemer, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World, is. 

Rio de Janeiro is also home to the Brazilian Carnival, a big festival full of music and dance, held at the beginning of the year. It is a huge celebration on the city streets where people from all over come to dance to Samba music, drink beer and have fun. 

Rio de Janeiro is one of the most visited cities in the Southern Hemisphere, and in 2016, it hosted the Summer Olympics. Rio de Janeiro is also home to a historical Soccer Stadium, the Maracanã, which held the finals of the 1950 and 2014 FIFA World Cups. 

A few things to keep in mind when visiting Brazil:

1. The weather is usually pretty warm, so remember to pack accordingly. 
  2. It is a very big country so you will always find areas to visit from beaches to big metropolis areas and even small, rural towns. 
  3. People in Brazil speak Portuguese! This is important to remember since most people think Brazilians speak Spanish (since it’s in Latin América). However, it is not too important to know the language if you’re visiting very touristy cities as many people will be able to communicate in English. 
  4. The best thing about Brazil is the people. They are incredibly warm and welcoming.
Mariana is a fourth-year Journalism student at Toronto Metropolitan University. She moved to Toronto from São Paulo, Brazil in 2021. Her favourite hobby is watching shows and movies and then spending hours researching, thinking and writing about them.