Teach for America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

Many college students are panicked when thinking about starting their career right after graduation at the ripe ole age of 22, and rightfully so, if you ask me. Where do I want to live? What do I want to do for the rest of my life? Is this really happening? One idea Jen Kramer, an English major at UT, is taking a swing at is Teach For America. Jen tells us about how she got involved, what you need to do and what she’s expecting from her experience.

Her Campus: So Jen, tell me why you decided to get involved with Teach For America?

Jen Kramer: Well, they approached me actually through some emails. It had already crossed my mind a time or two, and when I got the email I decided to contact them. I’m an English major, and I don’t have any plans for after graduation so I really adapted to this idea well.

HC: I think it’s a great thing to experience and more people than would think want to get involved with TFA, so that’s awesome. How does the system work? Is it interviews?

JK: Sort of, initially it’s phone calls with a Teach For America representative who gets to know you. From there you fill out an application, and on the app you give your top five city choices you like to teach in. Then if you get through that portion, there is a final interview and you are expected to have teacher recommendations.

HC: Are you expected to teach every subject, or just English since that was your major? I read that only 4 percent of TFA teachers majored in education, what do you think about that?

JK: On my application I specified that I would like to teach English and you also can choose what grades you would prefer. But it doesn’t really matter what you majored in school because all workers have to get certified by which ever state they are sent to. But I think it’s great that you don’t have to be an education major to be a part of this! It gives me the chance to try something I’ve wanted to but I can also keep my options open after my potential two years with TFA.

HC: What are you expecting to gain out of your experience?

JK: I know it’s going to be really eye opening. I mean, whatever city they send you to, it’s to the worst portion of that town. It’s going to be sad, harsh and challenging, but I’m ready to help.

HC: Would you recommend this any seniors how are conflicted about what they want do with their future?
JK: Absolutely, because this is a great thing for anybody to experience in general. And you’re not wasting your time, this opportunity is amazing and any thing you gain will transfer into any other career you try.