Bonnaroo 2012 Spotlight

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tennessee chapter.

Bonnaroo gave what could be the biggest Valentine to music lovers everywhere by announcing their 2012 lineup on Valentine’s Day. As usual, the lineup consists of a diverse range of acts for the 3-day festival, which is scheduled for June 7 – 10.

This year’s lineup includes several familiar musical giants. The Beach Boys, who recently reunited for their 50th anniversary tour and performed at the Grammys this month, will be taking the stage. Foster the People, who played alongside The Beach Boys at the Grammys, also joins the lineup. Alice Cooper, Phish and the Avett Brothers are other big names audiences can look forward to.

After taking an extended break and yet again losing lead guitarist John Frusciante, The Red Hot Chili Peppers have returned. They released their new album I’m with You, the first since 2006’s Stadium Arcadium, in August.  Radiohead will also make their second appearance at Bonnaroo.

Indie sensation Bon Iver will grace Bonnaroo’s stage for the first time. Indie lovers can expect to bob along to English rock band The Kooks; Feist, The Shins and Childish Gambino will also delight audiences.

Dancers don’t fret: Bonnaroo has plenty of acts with a heavy beat. Sonny Moore, more commonly known as the turntable spinning, electronica/dubstep star Skrillex, will DJ the festival accompanied by Major Lazer, made up of DJs Diplo and Switch.  Rap superstar Ludacris will also charm audiences with his southern hospitality.

Looking for something a little different? Bonnaroo has you covered. Celtic, 7-piece punk band Flogging Molly, who played right here in Knoxville at Volapalooza in 2010, will bring their Irish melodies to Manchester this summer. Another newbie to Bonnaroo is Detroit’s Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., who has been described all the way from “indie-pop” to “beach wave.” Other notable acts? Jazz/Cabaret/French pop quartet Mimosa and alternative bluegrass band Trampled by Turtles.

Bonnaroo will also host several comedians, with Parks and Recreation star Aziz Ansari topping the comedy lineup. More acts will be added to the lineup later.

This list is far from complete. Bonnaroo always has something for everyone, and more artists will be added to the lineup as time goes on. Price Level 3 tickets went on sale starting Saturday, Feb. 18 at noon and will increase again in a week, so make sure to get your tickets now!

For the full lineup and ticket information, visit Bonnaroo’s website.