Yoga: Back Bending or Back Breaking?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Yoga master of almost 40 years, Glenn Black, told The New York Times, “Yoga is for people in good physical condition. Or it can be used therapeutically. It’s controversial to say, but it really shouldn’t be used for a general class.”

Now, when I think of yoga the words breathe, stretch and relax come to my mind.  I certainly would not call myself a yoga enthusiast. My favorite aspect of yoga is the yoga pants, but I do enjoy taking occasional classes with friends.

After reading the article published by The New York Times on the dangers of yoga, I couldn’t believe so many people have suffered injuries. Then I realized I myself have felt pain (not the good kind) and developed bruises from holding certain positions for too long.

So how is this Zen-like practice harmful you might wonder?  As The New York Times reports, yoga has become so popular over the past decade that people forget what this practice is truly about. There’s even yoga for Wii Fit. Rather than “becoming one with your body,” people treat yoga as a sport, trying to push themselves to the limit and consequently hurting themselves.

As my curiosity grew, I decided to ask IBC yoga instructor Grace Dickinson about her thoughts on this news. 
            “People need to be mindful of their bodies,” Grace said.  Dickinson explained she has been practicing yoga for many years and has been an instructor for four years.  In her soft-spoken, peaceful voice, Grace told me people need to remember that yoga is not a sport and to listen to their bodies.

Since I myself am not the biggest yoga fan, I decided to get some insight from a student who is. Temple sophomore Lauren Carberry is an avid yogi.  Lauren said she loves yoga because of the relaxation she feels post downward dogging, but she too has felt the pain of the practice.

“I don’t know if it’s from yoga, but since I started doing it the rotator cuff in my s
houlder started hurting,” Carberry said. “When I try to lift my arm it doesn’t go all the way up.”

Clearly we can see that yoga should be performed at your own risk.  Although it proposes many benefits, you should also be careful while working it out. Like any other exercise, it is important to pay attention to how your body feels.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!