This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Last week, I decided to go to a nearby coffee shop to do my work. I planned it all the night before. In the morning, I was going to wake up a little earlier than usual to dress up and look cute. Once I finished my morning classes, I would head out to the cafe and buy an overpriced iced coffee along with an incredibly mediocre chocolate croissant. As ordinary as that may sound, this was the first time in a while where I was looking forward to something during my day.

Going to the coffee shop generally isn’t something you’d find thrilling. However in these current times, it was probably one of the most exciting events to occur throughout my regular day. Limited social interaction and staying at home as the new norm has made me appreciate what we often consider ordinary. So, why am I rambling on about my ‘exhilarating’ trip to the coffee shop? In this moment of my self-reflecting, I’m here to tell you that you should romanticize every aspect of your life. 

According to Oxford Dictionary, the word ‘romanticized’ is defined as “deal with or describe in an idealized or unrealistic fashion; make (something) seem better or more appealing than it really is” In this unsettling predicament the whole world is placed in, I believe that finding appreciation in the little things can somehow make things…less crappier. For someone who’s morning routine throughout the week is rolling out of bed the minute before class starts, waking up earlier to get ready felt like a little boost that I needed very very much.

I’m not saying you should wake up at the crack of dawn every single morning, unless that’s something you enjoy. But if there’s something that makes you feel even the tiniest bit of passion throughout your day, you should absolutely go for it. Whether it’s making yourself breakfast in the morning or forcing yourself to step outside once in a while to feel the sun, take each time to notice things you normally take for granted.

Finding appreciation in the things we often consider ordinary can help us maintain a healthy, positive mindset during times where most of us may struggle to find a beacon of hope. You deserve to treat every day like it’s your best day and to have moments that make your heart feel rich with joy. 

Kiana is a sophomore Global Studies major and Religion minor at Temple University. Kiana is a health staff writer for Her Campus. Politics, art, and culture are a few things she is passionate about.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!