This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Here are a few Philly shops you need to visit!

Small businesses make up so many communities, especially in Philadelphia, which is why they need our support. During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, almost everything shifted to virtual and online. I’m sure we’re all aware of how big of a negative impact this pandemic had on our lives, but another aspect to consider is how it impacted a lot of local and community businesses. 

The pandemic forced a lot of growing local businesses to prematurely adapt into an almost fully online platform and forced them to ultimately rely on the customers for their success. While this was a negative aspect, some positive aspects grew from the pandemic as well. COVID-19 showed how the relationship between a business and their community and customers matters. 

Quarantine sparked innovation and ideas for many, contributing to the rise in small businesses online. If there was something unique and specific I was looking for all I had to do was type in the Etsy search bar and hundreds to thousands of results would pop up.

The online shopping platform, Etsy, is one I have used A LOT since COVID-19 and I liked using that specifically because of the variety and diversity in businesses they had on there. These businesses include ones geared towards BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other communities of people. I feel like now when I’m shopping I’m able to support people that support the community.

Here are some small, local businesses to check out in Philadelphia:

Ray’s Reusables: A sustainable, eco-friendly refill shop for face, body, and hair care products!

Sooo Delicious Soul Food: The name doesn’t lie, they have some pretty good food and they’re also Black-owned located on Locust St.

Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee and Books: Black-owned and founded by one of Temple University’s professors, Marc Lamont Hill, located in Germantown!

The Book Trader: A second hand bookstore located in historic Old City!

I think the thing that makes shopping locally the best, for me, is the feeling of connectedness. With small businesses now able to shift back into selling in physical stores as well as being online, I feel like I can have a unique, personalized shopping experience and feel like I’m building a relationship with those in my community.

Jadyn Howard

Temple '25

Hi everyone! I'm Jadyn, a junior journalism student at Temple University. I love to write articles for Her Campus based on my own firsthand experiences and fit that into the bigger picture! Outside of Her Campus, I interned for Temple Office of Global Engagement and Resolve Philly.