This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Scrolling through the endless amount of shows and movies on Netflix, I came across a telenovela called The Queen of Flow (or in Spanish: La Reina del Flow) which follows a Colombian woman who seeks revenge after her life and childhood were stolen by others.

This soap opera now has two seasons and almost 200 episodes on Netflix that follow the adventures of Yeimy Montoya, the main character, and what she does in order for others to pay for what they have done to her in the past. With Yeimy being a songwriter, we see how she is able to use her music to get through the hardships in her life.

We also follow Charly Flow, a famous singer in the show. We see his ups and downs as a big pop star sensation but we also see his many qualities that make everyone question his intentions. This show brings so many unexpected events that you could never imagine what might happen next… perfectly matching the typical structure of a novela.  

The soap opera is based in Colombia and is a musical telenovela that brings reggaeton to the big screen and uses music so you can connect with the characters in this series. Truly, The Queen of Flow sneaks up on you. Slowly you’ll get intrigued as to what will happen next and see where each character will end up after a big fiasco that occurs. 

Although this telenovela can be a little bit quirky and can have some corny editing, it still makes it very bingeable and you’ll want to watch it all day every day. 

Not only is the series about the revenge Yeimy has on everyone who took her childhood away, it also follows the love of family, friends, redemption, and finding what truly makes the person happy in the show.

This show has an amazing plot and storyline but it also brings out amazing songs written by these characters. The lyrics are very well written and you can listen to the songs even when not watching the show. 

The Queen of Flow incorporates flashback scenes that will make you understand why things are happening to these characters and why people had to do things that may or may not be good. This telenovela, in addition to all the packed drama, also has a lot of romance. We see characters struggling internally and not knowing what is right from wrong. It’s tragic and upsetting for some of them and we often see them caught up in dangerous habits that the world brings on them.

All in all, this show is a must-watch for anyone who wants a little bit of everything — some romance, some drama, and some very unexpected twists. I would recommend this television series to absolutely anyone, especially if you’re looking to learn Spanish while easily entertained.

Nathaly is a college student at Temple University in her second year. She is currently majoring in journalism and minoring in dance.