Style > Beauty

Why The Ordinary Is A Top-Selling Skincare Brand  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The Ordinary skincare brand is one that is very popular amongst people with blemish-prone skin. I have been using the brand’s skincare line for about a year now, and these are my honest results.  

The Ordinary, founded by Brandon Truaxe and Nicola Kilner in 2013, was made to be a minimal, effective skincare brand. The products are known for their affordability, effectiveness, and for having minimal ingredients. The skincare products are light, and each product has a different purpose. 

I have been using The Ordinary for over a year. I use a variety of products from their skincare line, for different uses. As someone who has both overly sensitive and blemish-prone skin, I was relieved to finally find something that was unscented, non-irritating, and effective at keeping my acne at bay. I’ve listed a few of my favorite products and their purpose for anyone else with skin like mine to hopefully help people find their new favorite product.   

Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA  

Starting with a product that is a staple in everyone’s skincare routine: moisturizer. The Ordinary’s Natural Moisturizing Factors ($10.39) moisturizer is light yet hydrating at the same time. While targeting dryness in the skin, this product is for all skin types.  

As someone with sensitive skin, this is one of the only moisturizers I have found that does not irritate my skin. In my opinion, this moisturizer is the perfect, basic, easy product to add to your everyday routine.  

Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%  

This lightweight serum ($4.62) targets blemish-prone skin, helping to eliminate both active acne and acne scarring. This product is meant to be applied before heavier creams after washing the face.  

I have seen a difference in my skin after using this product for over a year. The serum helps get rid of acne when it starts and helps clear up scars already in place. This is one of the brand’s most popular and most recommended products. If you have stubborn acne scarring, this product might be the perfect treatment.  

Caffeine Solution 5% + EGCG 

This product ($8.85) is something that I have come across recently, but it’s one product that I have been recommending to everyone struggling with dark circles under the eyes as well as puffiness.  

I tend to get really dark circles and wake up with swollen eyes, and this serum has helped me cope. I put it on twice a day, in the morning and at night under and around my eyes. It helps lessen the appearance of my dark circles and makes the swelling go down very quickly.  

AHA 30% + BHA 2% Peeling Solution  

This face mask ($7.31) can be used to treat many things, ranging from acne, blemishes, and uneven skin tones or dark spots. I love using it about once a week as a skin reset. It helps prevent new acne and treats blackheads.   

Overall, The Ordinary is a great brand for college students who want to treat their skin without spending the money that needed for things like food, rent, and everything else. With the brand’s effective treatments at a low cost, we can improve our skincare routines without breaking the bank.   

I am a sophomore communications major at Temple University with a minor in Criminal Justice. I currently write for the Fashion and Beauty section of Her Campus Temple!