This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

“Move-in day” is something that gives every college freshman nervous butterflies. It is a completely new chapter of life. Eighteen years of living with parents and suddenly you are packing your heavy bags to move into a room. Will my roommate be nice? How am I going to make money? What if my professors are super strict? Will I miss my bed at home? These are just some of the thoughts running through most freshmens head while packing to move away. 

But what a lot of people don’t talk about is how once these nervous thoughts go away, it is time for students to deal with the reality of living on campus. While living at college has its perks (I mean, who wouldn’t want to live somewhere surrounded by coffee shops and thousands of other people their age?) it can still be hard for some. Moving to college also means balancing school work, social life, and expenses while also trying to cope with the new independence and responsibilities. It is completely normal that this can be stressful and overwhelming for students of any age.  

Being completely independent? Yes, it’s scary! But there are also good parts of it. Being independent doesn’t necessarily mean being alone. Instead, it means being in charge of yourself (ex: grocery shopping, making money, keeping your apartment clean). These are all things that are manageable. 

There are so many ways to make grocery shopping, making money, and cleaning fun. Play music when you go grocery shopping. TUne everybody out on your walk, smile, and enjoy the fresh air. Chances are that you won’t be getting too much outdoor time once the weather changes, so enjoy it. Even if it’s below freezing. Meal prepping for your grocery store trips is also a fun way to feel organized and look forward to the meal you’ll have later that night. You live on your own now, so treat yourself to a few snacks you’ve been craving. 

Many people wonder how they will make money in college. Sometimes it can be hard to find a job on or near campus, especially during the current pandemic. Make looking for a job a homework assignment. Reading about the buildings and employment opportunities around you can provide you with insight on the experience you’ll need to eventually be in a professional environment. Looking for jobs might not always be the best part of your day, but it can have the potential to motivate you. Getting paid after a long day of work is a great reward, especially if you are determined. 

Balancing school work and social life can be a tricky task for a lot of students. However, there are ways to do this and make it fun. The first, and probably most helpful tip, is doing group study sessions. This is a great way to focus on your homework while spending time with friends. This can be even more fun if the study sessions take place in the library or any study centers on campus. This way you’ll be able to leave your dorm and walk on campus. 

Moving into college is something that many students anticipate all throughout high school. Suddenly becoming forced to be independent and responsible enough to manage a social life, expenses, and school work is not easy. But, there are ways to make it enjoyable. College is meant to teach life lessons, give you friends, and teach responsibility. These ideas are only just a few ways to cope with this new chapter of life. Don’t forget to talk with your friends, peers, teachers, family, and anyone else who is around you. And most importantly, decorate your room to your liking, it is your new space. .

I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!