Wellness

Why Every College Student Should Practice Yoga or Meditation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The life of a college student is usually very complex. For many, you have to balance multiple aspects of your life. Work, internships, school, homework, relationships, and social life are just a few of the things on a college student’s mind. This busy life can sometimes cause students to neglect their mental and physical health. Therefore, incorporating even the smallest amount of yoga or meditation can bring a healthy balance college students need. 

You may be thinking “how could I possibly add another activity into my busy schedule”. No worries, it can be done even with the busiest of schedules. If you are someone that truly believes you don’t have time to add another activity, I suggest incorporating a small mediation activity first thing in the morning or right before bed. Here is how to do so. 

• Wake up and don’t automatically scroll through social media.
  • Pick a mediation video on YouTube or choose the music that makes you feel calm, relaxed, or happy.
  • Set in a comfortable position, away from any noise or distractions.
  • Set the scene: dim lights, shut your blinds, and light a candle. 
  • Close your eyes for five to ten minutes and focus on your breath. 
  • If you have time incorporate some stretching.

This small five to ten minutes will allow you to mentally gain focus. For that small time, you will be able to have a clear mind, not thinking about the busy day to come. This can help you start or end your day refreshed and calm to start your day or get a good night’s sleep.       

If you have more time than just a couple of minutes I suggest using it for an entire yoga session. If you already incorporate working out, maybe switch one of those days to a yoga day. 

According to my yoga instructor, Marlene Espinoza, who has been teaching yoga for 20 years in several locations in Northeast Philadelphia, the benefits of yoga are “a balance of emotions, heals injuries, focus enhances, physical strength, and allows you to understand how you move and think.”

As someone who has been practicing yoga for a few years, I can honestly say these benefits do occur. I notice the weeks I don’t incorporate yoga or meditation to be much more stressful and overwhelming. In such an unprecedented time, I have realized that incorporating yoga and meditation has made me feel comfortable in being able to step back from all that’s going on and take control of my own body and emotions. It’s okay to feel stressed and it’s perfectly normal as a college student, but making sure you take care of your mental and physical health is just as important as anything else. This includes getting an A, finding an internship, and completing that project. Make sure even if it’s not yoga or meditation you find something that allows you to focus and relax your body and mind.

To learn more about simple poses and how to start yoga as a beginner read this article. https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/poses-by-level/beginners-poses/. My personal favorites are the child’s pose, cobra pose, and extended puppy pose. 

Lindsi Smith

Temple '22

Hi, my name is Lindsi Smith. I am a senior public relations major at Temple University. I am the treasurer of the Temple University chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and currently write for the fashion and beauty section of HerCampus. During my free time, I love to read, hang out with my friends, and practice photography.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!