This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The first thing we consume in the morning is super important. It sets the tone for the day and is the first thing our body fully absorbs. Starting your day out with Hot Cheetos or skipping breakfast and having an iced coffee at 1 pm will have your day starting poorly, and making you feel so as well. Bad eating habits reflect your mood negatively and can make you sluggish. Gut bacteria makes about 95% of your body’s supply of serotonin. Now do you understand how important it is to be mindful of what you eat? Eating foods that will fuel you and give you the proper nutrients that you need is a driving factor of your mental wellbeing. The hard part is knowing where to start. Let’s look at what beginning your day with a green juice or smoothie will do for mental, physical, and long term wellbeing.

The first thing you consume in a day is very important and should be providing your body with nutrients that will give you energy. We know that the first thing we eat has to be nutrient rich, and we also know it is extremely hard to be consuming all our greens and nutrient rich vegetables in one day. Combine both, and we get a green smoothie! By starting your day with this, you are already consuming a lot of fruits and vegetables, so we don’t have to worry about our intake as much. Green smoothies are also full of fiber, which supports and improves poor digestion. All these greens and vitamins should get your bowels moving. They also are full of chlorophyll and other antioxidants, which have many overall health benefits. All of the vitamins like vitamin E and vitamin C work together as well to fight acne, and give you a beautiful, radiant glow. 

Recipe Ideas:

From 100 Days of Real Food’s blog, she shares her simple green smoothie formula: 60% fruits to 40% leafy greens. Think about greens like spinach, kale, romanie, and bok choy. Your liquid is going to be either water, coconut water, coconut milk, or almond milk. As for fruit, think banana, mango, berries, orange, avocado, peach, apple, or pineapple. Sounds refreshing!

Another green juice you can try if you aren’t scared of the bitterness, I recommend just throwing together spinach, celery, an apple, a squeeze of lemon, and water. This green juice is packed with nutrients, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids.

Hear me out. Ditch the Hot Cheeto breakfast and give your body the love it deserves! This does not replace a full breakfast because of the lack of protein, but after drinking on an empty stomach, fill your tummy with a healthy breakfast option like oats, avocado toast, or some kind of egg breakfast. If you’ve never tried a green drink, you can’t knock it until you try it. Your body will thank you later. A happy gut equals a happy, full life.

I'm a social media fanatic. Between my work as a rising senior public relations student at Temple University and my personal blog (living-with-love.com) hobby, you can always find me on my phone. I'm from a small town in Connecticut and spend my free time doing barre workouts, rewatching television series, and reading new books. I joined HC as my first organization at college, and I can't imagine ending my academic career leading anywhere else!