Why are Latto and Ice Spice Throwing Shade at Each Other in Their New Singles?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s no secret by now that the Bronx rap star, Ice Spice and Atlanta rapper, Latto, are not on good terms, and the proof is in the singles. 

Their feud has been known for some time now, dating back to as early as 2022. 

Just last month, Ice Spice released “Think U The Sh*t (Fart)” and fans were quick to notice a lot of her bars in the single had shade thrown at Latto’s song “Put It On Da Floor.”  In the song the Ice Spice raps “I got my foot on they necks, I can’t let up/She all on the floor, told her get up,” fans and peers concluded this was a shot fired at Latto’s “Put It On Da Floor.”

Friday, Feb. 2, the famous New York City rapper made an appearance on Twitter Spaces and there, she confirmed the fiery rumors and explained where their issues arose

Latto uploaded a short clip with the Bronx rapper’s music video playing in the background and she took offense to that. “Seeing that I’m in the back of your weak ass-snippet, So I was like, ‘Wait a second-that’s me?’ So I’m like, ‘Okay, since we’re talking about me, let’s talk about me,’ and I dropped that. 

The “Big Energy” rapper did not stay quiet for long though as she dropped “Sunday Service” shortly after the release of “Think U The Shit (Fart)”. In the catchy song Latto raps “Think I’m the sh*t Bi**h, I know it, ho*/ Jesus walked on water, I got ice boiln’ though.” I really think these lyrics are aimed at Ice Spice

Sprinkled throughout the song, another lyric disses the Bronx rapper, saying “These bi**tches corny, soon as monkey see, then you know monkey do/ Do you rap or do you Tweet?/ ‘Cause I can’t tell, get in the booth, bi**h.” This bar is likely a reference to Ice’s lyric “She all on the floor, told her get up.”

Latto took this feud a step further as she was seen recording her music video for the hit new single in Ice Spcie’s native city; The Bronx

Furthermore, HipHop Rx, confirms Latto recently sided with Megan thee Stallion against Nicki Minaj in their ongoing feud, as Ice Spice teamed up with her on “Barbie World” in 2023. The line has been drawn in the sand and it has become clear to fans, where each rapper resides.

It’s pretty clear where the two rappers stand with each other. I don’t think we’ll see the two rumble anytime soon but we’re not expecting a collab either. As long as the Nicki Minaj and Megan Thee Stallion feud is alive and well, so will the Latto vs. Ice Spice beef. But hey, who doesn’t love friendly competition? 

The place for all of my creative writing pieces in the fashion/beauty and arts/entertainment world. Thanks for stopping by <3