Blush Contour Final Hero
Blush Contour Final Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

What’s the deal with cosmetic tattoos?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

If you are looking for a semi-permanent way to spice up your appearance, and speed up your makeup routine… Maybe you should look into getting a cosmetic tattoo.  

There are numerous people who love doing their makeup routine, but sometimes everybody wishes it could be shorter and easier to do. The solution to that would be cosmetic tattoos. The idea of getting a tattoo on your face can be scary, but with enough knowledge on the topic, it may be able to ease your nerves. The practice has been used since the early 1900’s, but in the 90’s and early 2000’s it became more popular, and easier to execute.

Cosmetic tattoos, also known as “permanent” makeup, is a technique used to make tattoos resemble makeup, such as eyeliner, and adding color to the skin of the face, lips and eyelids. The ink that gets applied on the face lasts anywhere in between one to three years, making it a semi-permanent change. One of the more popular features that gets tattooed are the eyebrows. With this, you have the ability to have filled in eyebrows which is known as microblading, as well as having them shaped, which would be known as microshading. Other types of tattoos that can be done are lip blushing, which is used to bring color, symmetry and fullness to the lips, and permanent eyeliner.  

Just like any other type of tattoo there are many things that should be done before getting a cosmetic tattoo. The main one is properly taking care of your skin prior to the appointment.  If you get any type of injections, botox, or facials it’s better to hold off so it doesn’t react poorly with the pigment. Another thing to note is that if you are sunburnt, bruised, or have acne/use accutane there is a chance that it can lead to infections with the skin. After getting the tattoo it should take about a week or two for it to fully recover. Over the healing process with all of the tattoos that were previously stated, the color of the pigment will begin to change. Most times, this can be caused by the pigment lightening due to hot showers, steam, smoking and naturally oily skin. The aftercare is also the most important part to any tattoo. Similarly to body tattoos you need to wait before fully submerging the area with water, use ointments and sunscreen on it, and don’t pick or rub at the tattoo. 

Overall I think the idea of cosmetic tattoos is something that seems fun and experimental. As somebody who already has four tattoos, the idea of getting one cosmetically seems appealing. Already having work done makes the idea seem more reliable, so if you feel like you doubt it, maybe try getting something somewhere else so you can see what the process is like. Being able to subtly alter your everyday appearance was something that used to sound undoable to me, but after learning more about the entire process it seems like something that can be more commonly used and normalized.  

Katie Leis

Temple '25

Hi! My name is Katie and I am the TikTok Coordinator for the Temple University Chapter! I post lots of things about our staff as well as pop culture topics, as well as TikTok trends.