What I Felt About “For All The Dogs: Scary Hours Edition” 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Drake released his eighth studio album “For All the Dogs” on Oct. 6. The album had 23 songs with features from J Cole, Lil Yachty, Sza, Sexyy Red, and more. Of course, it received mixed reviews but overall produced positively telling numbers.

On the same day of the album’s release, Drake revealed he’d be taking a break from music to focus on his health. However, the rapper dropped “For All The Dogs: Scary Hours edition” on Nov. 17. Regardless of whether the songs on this version of the album were made before or after his announcement, Drake, in my opinion, has once again proved himself as one of the greatest artists of all time. Not that he had to.  

Scary Hours embodies that exact sentiment. On the album, he sounds confident and sure of himself. One would assume that at this point, someone of Drake’s stature wouldn’t have to prove anything. He seems to think the same thing yet people have taken his confidence for conceit.

In my opinion, neither the album nor the second edition was made out of vanity. As a celebrity, you’re under constant scrutiny no matter what you do, everyone knows that. People seem to think that because you entertain, every aspect of your life is meant for entertainment and subject to commentary. Your craft, your appearance, your family, and your friends are always under surveillance.  

Celebrities lives are fuel for the public sphere and people seem to only respect art when it’s convenient for them. It’s almost like it’s there for their criticism rather than their pleasure and amusement. When people share their craft, you either like it or not but sometimes suddenly everyone turns into a certified critic or comedian. The feeling of likes and laughs on an Instagram comment outweighs any regard for people’s feelings. People’s moral scales are all “out of wack” and Scary Hours is Drake’s attempt to stabilize them. 

People often complain about the change in his sound, style, and approach to criticism. Drake confronts these opinions all throughout the album in songs like “The Shoe Fits,” “Stories about My Brother,” and “Evil Ways.” After having the finger pointed at him for so long, the album felt like Drake pointing his finger back.

In the song “Stories About My Brother” Drake says “humble back in 2012, now I give arrogant boss.” To me, this represented him addressing feelings about his lack of humility. It’s not that he lacks humility now, but given the time and work he’s given to industry he does have way less to prove and his confidence is justified. It comes off as arrogant when in reality, he’s just highlighting his growth and transformation from a rookie to a household name.  

Another line I’d like to highlight is one from the song “Evil Ways” featuring J Cole. He alludes to the life of being a celebrity when he says, “Our life’s an open book, come and read a page” This lyric stuck out to me because it recapitulates what “Scary Hours” is talking about. Both J Cole and Drake have had to deal with the blessing and curse of being a celebrity and constantly being subject to everyone’s opinion. I interpreted this as J Cole telling listeners, “critics” and anyone else who hears this song that it’s easy to learn about a celebrity, in this case him and Drake, before making assumptions about them. Comparing their lives to open books and inviting people to read a page is him saying it’s nothing to take the time to understand someone before forming opinions or making hurtful comments about them.  

The album can be interpreted in so many ways. Taking the time to read and understand Drake and everyone else’s lyricism throughout it, makes it more enjoyable. While his music is fun to listen to, it also makes you feel things. Music is a form of expression and with that comes complexities. Breaking down the album and harking in on its intricity, allows people to understand far more than just the surface level of the songs and form meaningful opinions rather than shallow judgments. 

Temple University 2025 Journalism Major Writer for the Fashion and Beauty section for Her Campus Temple IG: @wynterryvette