the cousins beach house in the summer i turned pretty season 2
Erika Doss/Prime Video

Welcome to Temple House Shows  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

An inside look into Temple University’s underground music and House-show scene. Getting involved and getting to know the culture, music styles, and people involved in your favorite Temple bands.  

In a basement filled with dim lights, instruments, and excited chatter, lives Temple University’s beloved house show scene. A unique aspect of Temple is the underground music scene that has been thriving for years off talented students from all over the Philadelphia area. Unique styles of music from house-punk to jazz-indie, fill local students’ basements as the start of show season begins. Everyone has their own perspective from bands to attendees on how the house-show culture is, and how it has impacted their time at school. Let’s dive into the riveting experience that is the Temple-house show scene!  

Throughout my time at Temple, I have been able to attend several house shows seeing artists in passing, and ones beginning to make a name for themselves in the Philadelphia area, moving on to venues and bigger audiences. Many young artists use this as a chance to highlight their band and work their way up.  More people trickle in as the night gets later, making these late-night spots valuable and a chance to expose their music to a larger audience. The culture around house shows is both inviting and intimidating, especially for newcomers, but I want to give some reassurance to those who are anxious about delving into the world of music and house shows.  

Both band members and listeners alike are extremely inviting and there are a million different chances to interact with them. All you have to do is walk up and start a conversation, even a stranger will be happy to talk to you about anything and everything. The scene is a built-in friendship since everyone is there for the same thing, to have fun and enjoy good music. Band members are always wandering around giving out stickers, promoting music and merch, and enjoying their friends and listeners. If you’re a fan of their music, start a conversation, they will be ecstatic to know that someone enjoys listening to them.  

Right before the first band begins to play, chatter fills the room as they set up their equipment and fill the atmosphere with their vibe. Testing their instruments by playing around with beats and rhythms of their favorite styles. The first band introduces themselves, starting off the night with a strong set. The crowd at the front will dance or even mosh depending on the vibes of the band, or how the audience feels as a whole. People will clap and shout their favorite member’s names, spreading the feeling of excitement to everyone around them.   

The house show scene goes through a two to three-year life span, where locations and bands change as people graduate and move on to the next stage of their lives. In speaking to bands, the topic of a culture shift was brought up regarding the younger generation moving in. People who are just finding the house show and are exploring what it means to be a part of the community. Bands who started in 2020-2021 are starting to move out and new bands and listeners are coming in.  

This is a perfectly normal stage of life, especially in the college music scene, and invites new and fresh talent to explore and make their way through the music world. It always will feel different as the faces you’ve known for the majority of your college experience start to move on, but it’s also exciting to see who is ready to share what they love.  

The same goes for those who host shows, the people who had venues when I was a freshman and sophomore are not the same today. It brings a completely new perspective to how different types of people choose to host. Those who do their research and spend time getting to know the scene and create a flexible and well-run show, and those who are stumbling and still figuring out the best way to handle it.   

As time goes on, these changes are happening more rapidly. They are different from what I have been used to as well as my friends who have been growing in the industry. It’s always a pleasure to see how the new generation of musicians chooses to explore themselves and their art and start to make it their own. That’s what change is like and it can be for better or for worse, but from what I have seen, Temple as some crazy good talent.    

I have been attending house shows since my sophomore year, for this reason and will continue to go until I graduate. It is a one-of-a-kind experience that can help you find a new crowd of people who may become lifelong friends. Some of my closest friends have come out of the house-show scene making every time I go a little more special.  

If you are looking to start a band, or even just dip your toes into new water, house shows are a great way to introduce yourself to new possibilities. There are locations all over Temple, bands who perform all over Philadelphia, and individuals who always want to make music. At the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about, making expressive and amazing music. 

Catie Lane

Temple '24

My name is Catie Lane and I am a senior writer for the Campus Life and News section for Her Campus Temple Chapter. This includes events, activities, organizations and any events that involve what is happening on cm campus. Any news that occurs around the community and that involves my university and the surrounding area. Beyond Her Campus I have had the opportunity to work with the Philadelphia's Mayor's Office of Communications as a PR and Communications intern. Here I wrote posts, articles, press releases, and newsletters. I also worked to plan events such as press meetings, conferences, and workgroups. I also have had the wonderful opportunity to work as the Philanthropy Day Chair for my sorority Alpha Xi Delta, work on the PR and merchandising team for Temple E-sports, and work with Web and Podcasts for Temple Universities radio station WHIP. In my free time I love to read books of all genres, trying out new fashion trends, traveling, dancing and indulging in different styles of music. I love spending time with my cat and binge watching the latest show releases and movies.