Want Clear Skin This Fall and Winter? Here Are Some Things I Swear By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

It’s getting to that time of year where we have to put away our darker concealer sticks and pull out our foundation and powders from last winter.

I know for a fact that the concealer I’ve been using all summer no longer matches; my skin texture and consistency can’t compare to how it was on warmer days. My skin went from nearly pimple-free (from the sun’s rays killing acne causing bacteria!) to now dehydrated, oily and pimple prone. What’s happening, you ask? Well, winter’s happening. Colder weather makes the skin more likely to be dry, dehydrated, and sensitive. There is a solution, though!

As a winter skin sufferer myself, here are some products, tips and serums that I swear by to keep my skin as clear as possible in the colder months.

1. Face Wash

One of the most important steps in combating winter skin is to use a product that best targets your skin condition. For example, if you have acne prone or oily skin, you might want to use stronger face washes containing Benzoyl Peroxide or Salicylic Acid that will deep clean your pores and remove excess oil.

Clean & Clear Continuous control Acne Cleanser

Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash

If your skin gets dry easily and dehydrates in colder weather, it’s better to use moisturising, gentle face washes that rebuild and rehydrate your skin. Both of these products contain skin rebuilding and moisturising hyaluronic acid to help keep skin moisturized.

Cera Ve Hydrating Facial Cleanser

Neutrogena Hydroboost Hydrating Cleansing Gel

You never have to stick to one face wash. I recommend using stronger and gentler products interchangeably. When you’re breaking out, use a product with Benzoyl peroxide. When you’re skin is dry use something with hyaluronic acid or enzymes.

2. Toner

If your skin gets oily in the colder months, it can very easily be because of skin dehydration. If you want to add more spice to your skincare routine and demolish those pimples and reduce oil, use a toner after washing your face or before applying makeup. Not only will you shrink your pores, but you will greatly reduce oil amount due to the cold weather dehydrating the skin and moisturize at the same time.

Thayers Witch Hazel Alcohol Free Toner – Rose Petal

3. Face Creams, Oils, and Serums

Creams, oils, and serums are a must in the colder months. After cleansing and toning, they lock in moisture and even work well against dark spots, wrinkles, and aging. No need to worry about windburn or aging if you’re moisturizing! It’s a perfect combination.

3a. Face Cream

You can combat cold weather with any facial moisturizer and bring on the cold days with soft, smooth skin.

Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream

The Olay cream uses amino peptides to rejuvenate skin cells on the surface while moisturizing many layers deep into the skin. It has a non-oily feel and goes on the skin smooth, matte- preventing oil buildup and breakouts.

3b. Oils

Using oils before bed or at the beginning of the day on your face is a great way to lock in moisture and keep your skin smooth, even tones and prevent wrinkles. Oils like Jojoba Oil or Vitamin E Oil lightly moisturize the skin without feeling overly heavy. They both have many benefits. Specifically, vitamin E oil is not only a great and natural moisturizer, but it’s also commonly used to reduce scarring and stretch marks. Jojoba Oil is a light moisturizer that isn’t overly greasy and acts as an antioxidant.

The Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum-in-oil

3c. Serums

Serums are great to use to combat weather’s effects on our skin because the products combine so many enzymes, oils and acids that our skin needs to rejuvenate and rehydrate. Using skin revitalizers throughout the winter can help reduce the risk of peeling skin and wrinkles induced by dehydrated skin. It can also ensure that your skin stays even-toned throughout the change of the seasons.

Bobbi Brown Skin Reviver No. 91 – Power Greens Ferment

No warm sun? No problem! You don’t need to depend on the wonders and tragedies of the sun to have glowing skin. 

Just remember to use the right product depending on how your skin reacts to the cold weather. You can fight that acne head-on with some Benzoyl Peroxide while keeping your skin moisturized with your favorite Vitamin E oil. Sun who? We don’t need her anymore. YOU got this!

I am a full time student (class of 2022!) at Temple University and part time model in NYC. I love all things related to fashion, feminism, food, travel, books, and media.