An Ultimate London Foodie Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As the harsh reality of senior year and post study abroad rolls in, it’s only natural that I’ve been missing the city of London even more now than ever. The limp Sodexo noodles and one-too-many-trips to Qdoba just don’t cut it anymore, and London’s plethora of restaurants make college food even more unappealing. After looking at my pictures from Europe in a state somewhere between denial and nostalgia, I felt inspired to share the eigtht best restaurants I experienced during my time in London. Whether you’re currently studying abroad in London, Europe, or still in the States, these restaurants are worth taking note of.

1.) Cereal Killer Café

Address: 139 Brick Ln, London

Why eat here? Cereal Killer Café is located in the vibrant London neighborhood of Shoreditch. Take a trip down memory lane while being surrounded by old-fashioned VHS, cereal boxes, magazine covers, etc. The atmosphere is great – but the food is even better. Create your own cereal combination to suit your mood. This café offers all varieties of milk, cereal, and toppings. If you’re craving something really sweet, try one of their stacked hot chocolates that come in a variety of flavors such as peanut butter, birthday cake, nutella, and more.

2.) Farm Girl Café

Address: 59A Portobello Rd, London

Why eat here?  This hidden café is nestled in Notting Hill and a breakfast haven for vegans and non-vegans alike. Serving fresh and organic food, Farm Girl Café serves healthy and delicious breakfast foods. Their avocado toast is a staple, but you can also opt for poached eggs, buckwheat pancakes, a fruit bowl or porridge. While Farm Girl Café is mainly a breakfast place, they also offer an array of sandwiches and other lunch options. Bonus? They have amazing coffee too.

3.) Kinkao Thai Restaurant

Address: 176 Brick Ln, London

Why eat here?  Brick Lane may be known for its multitude of Indian restaurants, but Kinkao’s Thai Restaurant serves mouthwatering appetizers and authentic Thai cuisine. Their curry sauces are flavorful and customers can order a range of spicy or mild dishes. In addition to curry, Kinkao serves fried, steamed, grilled, rice, and noodle dishes. Also, their coconut rice infused with coconut milk is a perfect complement to any dish. With so many options to choose from, this restaurant will satisfy all parties. 

4.) Senior Ceviche

Address: Kingly Court, Kingly St, London

Why eat here? Señor Ceviche is a Peruvian-style restaurant tucked among the streets of the hip and happening area of Soho. This restaurant truly has it all and offers street food, barbeque and ceviche dishes, salads, side dishes, and more. You can score £5 cocktails during happy hour and sip them in the casual and cozy atmosphere. Señor Ceviche also provides a variety of specialty drinks, such as the Uncle Pastuzo, consisting of Machu Pisco, Gin, Aperol, marmalade, grapefruit juice, and egg white. 

5.) Daisy Green

Address: 20 Seymour St, Marble Arch, London

Why eat here?  Daisy Green boasts simple but satisfying brunch. While Daisy Green has more than one location, the Marble Arch restaurant is quaint and has the quirky of a traditional Australian café. The staff are friendly and attentive. Smoothies are their specialty – they even offer a smoothie that contains espresso. From banana bread to broccoli and corn fritter to a falafel wrap, Daisy Green definitely won’t disappoint. 

6.) Poppies Fish & Chips

Address: 6-8 Hanbury St, London

Why eat here?  Fish and chips are obviously a staple in both London and England itself. Situated right in Spitafield Market, you can grab an order of fish and chips to go or eat inside. The restaurant may be on the small side, but if you choose to eat in you’ll find yourself in an adorable 1950s-style restaurant.  Their chips are delightfully crispy and the fish is deep-fried to perfection. The food comes quickly, and you can expect to devour your meal within three to four minutes after ordering. 

7.) Bone Daddies

Address: 31 Peter St, London 

Why eat here?  Ramen is currently all the rage, and for good reason. Contrary to popular belief, ramen does come in forms other than cheap plastic packaging with flavor packets. You Bone Daddies’ ramen dishes are savory and include egg, bamboo, and bean sprouts that add a layer of texture to the soupy noodles. The broth has just the right amount of salt and spices. Their appetizers are also a must – try their Korean fried chicken wings or Chashu pork and corn croquettes.

8.) Little India

Address: 32 Gloucester Rd, London SW7 4RB

Why eat here? Located along the little strip of shops down the road from the Gloucester Road tube station, Little India is a hidden gem. You don’t have to travel to Brick Lane to get a real taste of India. The na’an is fresh and doughy, the traditional basmati is rice cooked to perfection, and the comprehensive list of curries is sure to impress. Balti dishes, “creative dishes” such as Bhuna egg (eggs served with an array of fresh herbs spcies), and “Little India” specialties such as Naga chicken (chicken prepared with Naga chilies) are sure to be a hit as well.

Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.