How To Enjoy Your Period
How To Enjoy Your Period
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media
Wellness > Health

Two Rituals to Add to Each Phase of Your Menstrual Cycle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Do you feel as if your cycle controls you? Add one of these rituals to feel more connected to your body in each phase of your cycle.  

Hormones are incredibly powerful and small changes in your hormones can have a large effect on your body. The menstrual cycle is, on average, 28 days and consists of four different phases. Throughout these phases, you will feel varying levels of energy, creativity, hunger, etc.  

These different phases may make you feel out of control of your body or mind, and might make you wonder why you feel so introverted one week but so creative and outgoing the next. Here are some simple rituals to add to each phase of your cycle to feel more in tune with your hormones.  

Menstrual Phase 

This is the first phase of your cycle. It typically lasts anywhere from 3-7 days, with the first day of full bleeding as day one. During this phase estrogen and progesterone dip to the lowest levels, leading to restlessness and discomfort. Menstruating can be mentally and physically exhausting and uncomfortable. You may experience cramps, fatigue, or overall uncomfortableness. At any point in the menstrual phase, you can add one, or both, of these rituals to help alleviate uncomfortableness.  

1. Alternate Nostril breathing 

It helps reduce anxiety and lowers heart rate. During this phase the two hemispheres of your brain are the most communicative and it is thought that this practice harmonizes the two hemispheres by creating physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing.  To do this, use your right thumb to close your right nostril and breathe in. Before you breathe out, let go of your right nostril and place your right ring finger over your left nostril. Then, slowly breathe out. Keep your left nostril closed as you breathe in. Release the left nostril, close the right and breathe out. This is one round, feel free to practice however long you feel comfortable.  

1. Yoga 

Yoga is a way to meld meditation with breathing and movement. During the phase of the most pain and discomfort, yoga is known to help decrease the intensity and time of pain. You can easily find yoga routines on YouTube or visit your local yoga studio for a Hatha yoga class.  

Follicular Phase 

The second phase of the menstrual cycle comes right after the menstrual phase.  During this time new follicles are growing and releasing estrogen. The increase in estrogen creates feelings of creativity, extroversion, focus, and expressiveness.  This is the time to grab onto your dreams and learn about the divine feminine that lives within all of us.  

1. Make a list of your dreams 

You may feel an awakening during this phase. Your brain and heart are reaching for your dreams, so acknowledge them. Set aside some time to think about what you want to accomplish in the future. The future could be a week from now, month, year, or 5 years. Write down your dream on a piece of paper or computer. Then, once you’ve created the list, choose a few that feel essential to you. Write these dreams down on sticky notes and place them in an area where you will be reminded of them.  

1. Make a groovy playlist 

Find songs and albums that make you feel strong or listen to your favorite songs on repeat. Music is a powerful tool for feeling the goddess within you.  

Ovulation 

The third phase is when the egg is released for fertilization. It typically lasts for 3-5 days and produces more discharge than usual. During this phase your body has a spike in testosterone, which may create a feeling of sexiness, and energy.  It is important to embrace the sensuality and spontaneity that you feel in this phase.  

1. Listen to your impulses 

You may be feeling more impulsive, so change your hair, rearrange your bedroom, try new clothing styles. Ovulation raises the question of your identity and who you are and wants you to focus more on what feels best for you. This is the time to explore and connect with your desires, truths, and true nature.  

1. Engage in bold conversations and set boundaries 

This is the phase of energy and warmth. You may feel safe in who you are, so use it to your advantage. Stand up for what you want. Ask your boss for a raise, book a trip, tell someone you love them and feel confident in your choice to create these difficult conversations. It is also important to stand up for yourself. Use the power of ovulating to make boundaries in many different areas of your life. Is work or a relationship taking up too much of your time? Are some areas of your life draining your energy? It is important to create boundaries in order to nourish yourself and prioritize what matters to you.  

Luteal Phase 

The fourth and final phase is the 12-16 days before you start the menstrual phase. Your body is preparing for the harsh menstrual phase, so you may feel less energized than the previous two phases. The first half of this phase progesterone levels are at its peak before it, as well as estrogen start to decline. It is important to care for yourself and prepare for the discomfort of the menstrual phase.  

1. Give or journal your gratitude 

It has been studied that practicing gratitude can help decrease inflammation in your body and activate the “rest and digest” part of the nervous system. As your progesterone and estrogen levels decrease, you may start to pull inward. It doesn’t just have to be people, it could be events, objects, thoughts, small or big. Start by writing down three things you’re grateful for each day.  

1. Say no to anything that doesn’t give you energy 

Energy levels are declining, so it is important to give your soul and body the space it needs.  Saying no is a way of saving energy for yourself. You may clear your social calendar, or just say no to overexerting your mind and body, it differs from person to person. Use this time to nourish yourself and say yes to things that make you happy.  

Adding one or both rituals can help you feel ore Intune with your body and mind during each phase of your menstrual cycle. Each ritual doesn’t need to be done every day or even every other but start with one ritual per phase and see how it affects you. You can always increase the number of rituals and times you participate. 

Hormones have powerful effects on our bodies, especially as they fluctuate throughout the menstrual cycle. You may feel uncomfortable and out of control of your body as you go through your cycle. Adding one, or both, of these rituals to each phase can help you feel more connected to your cycle.  

Noam Wasik

Temple '25

I am a Junior at Temple majoring in Communications and Social Influence.