This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

My top 3 reasons to try new things while in college.

College can be a stressful time with classes and figuring out postgraduate plans. Most students get so caught up in the stress to remember that college is the best place to try clubs/activities you normally wouldn’t be able to. I recently went to a hip hop dance audition with my roommate just because I could. I’ve always wanted to participate in a dance audition and I finally got that opportunity. Here are my top three reasons college is the best place to try new things. 

1. In the grand scheme of things, traditional college students are young, 18 to 22 years old. Relative to how long humans live, there is so much life ahead of us. Now is the time to try things and see what we like and what we would want to do for the rest of our lives. 

2. College is so full of opportunities and most of these opportunities are free or super cheap. By looking at the clubs and activities your college offers you can find anything you would want to try and usually a way to contact someone to see about getting involved. If you don’t try new things now, when will you? 

3. Lastly, college can’t just be academics. That would lead to burnout and misery at some point. College is stressful and everyone needs a way to relieve that stress, no matter how little it may seem. Finding something enjoyable to relieve stress will make college so much more enjoyable. 

College is the time to experiment with extracurriculars. Use the time and availability to do new things and put yourself out there. Some of these activities may lead to lifelong friendships or maybe just a single good memory. 

Katy Schiela

Temple '23

I am a Biology major with a Public Health Minor on the premed track. I love music and have some on almost 24/7. I am an animal lover, especially dogs and cats. I have two family dogs and I have an axolotl.