This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

When we leave home for college, we are bombarded by a million new experiences and are thrown into a totally new lifestyle. Living away from our parents can be very liberating, but we often forget that it’s really normal to miss the comforts of home from time to time. It can feel isolating to deal with feeling homesick while at school, because it seems like no one else feels the same way but you. However, in reality, many people experience homesickness, and it’s not just at the beginning of the year either! Missing home can hit you at any point, for any number of reasons — and that’s ok! So with this being said, here are some tips to help combat feeling homesick while away at school.

Say yes to a new experience

When you’re feeling homesick, it becomes very easy to fall into a cycle of self-isolation which perpetuates the sadness. Instead, acknowledge how you’re feeling and try to force yourself to do something fun instead. Hanging out with friends, going out to eat, or treating yourself to a little retail therapy are all great ways to distract yourself from feeling sad and help create new, fun memories here at Temple that will start to make it feel more like a home away from home.

Personalize your space

Going from your cozy bedroom at home to a stark, unwelcoming dorm or tiny apartment can be a big and uncomfortable change. But by decorating your space in a way that makes you happy, it can make coming home everyday and being in your space a much more homey and overall pleasant experience. For me, coming home each day and seeing my collection of house plants really breathes life into my apartment and brightens the whole room. You can also use decor from your room at home to bring a little piece of your home life with you while at school.

Call your mother!

For real, though, calling home is a major way to help defend against homesickness because it keeps you in touch with what’s going on with your family and makes you feel connected to your life at home. Not to mention, if your parents are anything like mine, they’ll love to hear from you and catch up on all the things going on in your life. 

Got a pet? Send pics!

One of the hardest parts about being at college for me is the fact that my adorable beagle Max isn’t here with me. Anyone who has a pet will probably agree, not having your companion with you is a big adjustment that can leave you feeling pretty bummed. The great news, however, is that your pet can still be a part of your life at school through photos, facetimes, videos and phone calls home. Don’t be shy about asking for an update on your pet if you’re missing them a little extra!

Go for a Visit

At school it’s easy to forget that for most of us, home actually isn’t terribly far away. There’s no shame in planning a weekend visit at home where you can sleep in your own bed, eat a home cooked meal and enjoy all the luxuries and comforts of your own house. It can be easy to develop the mindset that you should only go home on school-designated breaks, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to go home sooner than Thanksgiving to see your friends and family, or to just hang out in your hometown.

Keep in Touch with Friends

This one may seem obvious, but keeping in contact with your friends while you’re all at school is a great way to keep connected to your life at home and fend off homesickness. It can be so easy to get out of the loop on all the stuff going on in your friends’ lives when everyone gets busy with school, but keeping in touch with friends through group chats, facetimes and calls is a great way to make your life at home feel less distant

Visit Friends/ Have Friends Visit You

In the same vein, visiting friends or having friends visit you is a great way to unite your home life with your life at school. It can be hard to try to catch friends up on all the new people and experiences you’ve had at college, but having them come for a visit is a great way to show them what you’ve been up to and show off all the things you love about Temple. 

Get involved in a new club/ activity

Homesickness can make you feel lonely and isolated, but joining a new club or student organization is a great way to involve yourself in something fun that will make you feel productive, and also introduce you to new friends who will be able to help make your transition from home life to college life that much easier.

Embrace your new found independence

While the comforts of home are something that can never truly be replicated, it’s important to look at the bright side: you’re as independent as you’ve ever been! And that is something to be proud of! Adjusting to living without your parents or your home is a big adjustment that takes time, but being independent and being able to stand on your own two feet is something so so important. Plus, being independent feels good! You call all the shots and get to start making decisions for yourself, which is so #adult.

Start a journal

When in doubt, journal it out. Sometimes it’s hard to articulate why you’re feeling homesick, because often you can be having the time of your life at school and still miss the comforts of being back home. Maybe talking it out to a friend isn’t your thing, or you’re not sure where you’d even start. In cases like these, I find journaling to be extremely therapeutic because it helps me get all my thoughts out on paper. Doing this then helps me identify why I’m feeling the way I do, which gives clarity and helps you articulate your thoughts.

Above all, it’s important to realize that feeling homesick is a normal reaction to being uprooted and thrown into a totally new environment. Whether you’re a freshman leaving home for the first time, or a senior who just really misses mom’s cooking, homesickness is an emotion that nearly everyone has felt at one point or another.

The more we normalize homesickness instead of shaming it, the more we will effectively be able to overcome it and validate each other’s feelings. 

Hi! I am a staff writer for Temple University's HerCampus chapter in the Campus Life and News Section! Interests include ballet, skateboarding, running and yoga, my precious beagle Max, and astrology (I'm a Taurus sun, cancer moon, Sag rising;))
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.