Trevor Noah Announces His Departure from The Daily Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On Thursday, September 29, Trevor Noah shockingly announced that after 7 years he would be leaving The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.  

During the five-minute post show conversation of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Noah announced his departure from the show. He posted nothing to his personal social media, but there is a clip of his going out speech that’s been posted to The Daily Show with Trevor Noah’s YouTube channel. The video is entitled, “A Special Message from Trevor Noah,” and the comments on the video are filled with heavy emotions, as many fans were shocked, and immensely upset about this figure, no longer being a constant in their lives.  

Within the video, Noah shows off his skills of being able to make something heartfelt, comedic, and genuine all at once. He showed us why he is so greatly loved. Noah ended his speech, saying, “I never dreamed that I would be here, I sort of felt like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I came in for a tour of what the previous show was, and then the next thing I knew, I was handed the keys. But I couldn’t have done it without you, and I wouldn’t have wanted to do it without you… all I can say is, thank you very much.”  

During the video, Noah also explained that there’s no definite end date to his hosting yet, and that there should be no worries about that right now, as all will be figured out eventually.  

I wanted to take the time to talk about the history of The Daily Show and highlight how Trevor Noah changed its projection for the better.  

Years ago, I watched a Vox video that outlined the past of the show and why at that point in 2015, it was currently reaching new horizons. The Daily Show’s inception back in 1996, was essentially based on reacting to the president at the time George W. Bush. The show created a platform to discuss Fox News antics and Republicans’ rash ideologies, a sort of progressive haven during that dominantly republican time.  

By the time we reached the 2000’s there were tons of material to work with when Obama was going through his election process, but once he won that spot in 2009, things got a bit awkward for The Daily Show. They were no longer apart of the minority opinion within the states, they now held the opinion of the masses. Although conservative ideologies never left once Obama stepped foot in office, poking fun at Fox News and conservatives while they had what felt like no power, didn’t seem as satisfying at the time.  

However, since Comedian Trevor Noah took over that host seat, it has not mattered who’s in office because everyone is getting held accountable. He’s gone from completely bashing former President Trump, to interviewing Republican conservative commentator Tomi Lahren, to poking fun at democratic candidates in the 2021 election for fundraising with billionaires. He is also not judging politicians and ideologies solely based on the party he aligns himself with. As a progressive, he very much takes the party into account, but at the end of the day, he uses his morals to judge these individuals, not allowing what he should and should not support, to get his way. Noah represents a fluid feeling that many progressives feel today. At the end of the day, they will vote blue, but they will simultaneously critique Democrats for their inability to put their money where their mouth is, as always. I believe this honest way of thinking is a huge reason for Noah’s appeal, along with his witty jokes and overall compassion for those who are most oppressed.  

Our hosts in the future should at the very least match the caliber of Trevor Noah. A comedian from South Africa came to the states essentially as an unknown figure and left behind his own television legacy. People who represent the masses, their interests, and care about them should be the people who are given these opportunities. From now on, we should expect nothing less, however, I am beyond glad that Trevor Noah is an individual who was given an opportunity and represented this.  

Carley Kurtz

Temple '25

Carley Kurtz is a Sophomore at Temple University pursuing a degree in Public Relations and a minor in Screen Studies. She enjoys drinking coffee, listening music, and spending time with her friends.