Life > Experiences

Traveling on a Budget as a Broke College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

You don’t have to break your bank for a good time.

You’re in college and with the stress of being in a new environment and multiple deadlines every day you need to find something exciting to look forward to. There’s nothing better than a calming vacation away from all the stress. You look for flights and in between going to classes and trying to budget this trip you realize you’re gonna need some tips. Don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. 

Saving: 

If you know you want to travel put at least 20 dollars away a week into a safe spot made just for travel. This will give you more options with places to go and more options for things to do when you get to your destination. Saving can even come from canceling subscriptions you no longer use, or selling old clothes you don’t wear anymore.  

No Car, No Problem: 

Travel somewhere that is bike friendly or walk friendly. You won’t have to rent a car and still be able to get around. Also, do NOT shy away from public transportation. Research public transportation routes of places you want to go to before the trip and make sure your directions are all set before you venture! Biking is a hands on experience in traveling and you never know how much an Uber or taxi is going to cost. 

Going Somewhere Cheap: 

One of the best things about currency is that is it worth more or less depending on where you are in the world. Use this to your advantage and travel to places where your purchasing power with the US dollar gives you a high advantage.  

Student Discounts:  

Keep your student ID handy for all traveling adventures. Student discounts are everywhere, they are in restaurants, places to adventure and hotels.  

Apps: 

One great app for flights is Hopper. The app gives you a yearly layout of when flights are cheapest with color coding! Airbnb is also a great alternative to expensive hotels. You’ll get a great stay at an Airbnb without the prices breaking your bank. 

Kristina is a Boston native and Temple Class of 2026! She loves Don Toliver, caramel coffee, museums, concerts, spending time with her boyfriend, and shoe shopping. You can find her on campus at the College of Liberal Arts where she is studying Political Science!