This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Disney+, which launched on November 12, features classic and exclusive Walt Disney content. Yes, all of your favorite childhood movies, series and more are all on one streaming platform! With nearly 500 movies and 7,500 episodes collectively so far for $6.99 a month, the Disney+ experience is full of excitement and fond memories! Here are my top 10 must-watch movies on Disney+ currently!

“The Little Mermaid”

This is certainly my favorite Disney animated movie that is a must-watch! The film is about a mermaid princess, Ariel, who is fascinated by land life and falls in love with a human prince, Prince Eric. Her desire to become human turns into an adventure alongside her best friend, Flounder, as she wants to pursue a relationship with the prince. This movie is worth the watch for its fun soundtrack and classic fairytale story.

“Monsters, Inc.” 

This Pixar movie is a classic that I could watch time and time again. It focuses on two monsters, Sully and Mike Wazowski, who work at Monsters, Inc, a factory that produces energy by scaring children. When a human child, Boo, enters the factory, the two monsters must return her to the human world quickly. This movie was the third highest-grossing film, gaining $577 million worldwide. This is a movie worth the watch on Disney+!

“Alice in Wonderland”

This whimsical tale has been remade numerous times since 1951. In the 1951 animated version, a young British girl who longs for adventure follows a white rabbit into a rabbit hole, which begins her on a magical journey. She meets the Cheshire Cat and the Mad Hatter in her adventure, two interesting characters. After being advised to meet the Queen of Hearts, Alice must play by her rules in order to stay alive and return home. This Disney classic is guaranteed to give you some nostalgia when watching!

“Finding Nemo”

Who can forget this family favorite Pixar movie? When stubborn clown fish, Nemo, swims too close to the surface and gets caught by a diver, his father, Marlin, must find his son. He befriends a blue reef fish, Dory, with a short memory, and they face many adversities from other sea creatures during their mission. This beloved movie never gets old!

“WALL-E”

This 2008 movie revolves around numerous environmental issues, such as waste management, consumerism and human impact on the environment. Wall-E is the last robot on Earth and is left to clean up trash everyday, causing him to feel very forlorn after a while. He then meets a sleek, modern looking robot, EVE, who is sent to Earth for scanning. Wall-E is infatuated by EVE and proceeds to follow her across the galaxy where they face many adventures. This list would certainly not be complete without this Pixar classic.

“Up”

This 2009 Pixar film has it all: it will make you laugh and cry. Widow Carl Fredricksen, an elderly balloon salesman, is about to embark on an adventure to the South American wilderness to fulfill a promise to his late wife, Ellie. He ties thousands of balloons to his house to fly away, but unknowingly brings a young Wilderness Explorer, Russell, along with him. This film was Disney’s first to be done in digital 3-D. “Up” is a timeless film that will bring back fond childhood memories.

“Toy Story”

This movie made Disney history as its first entirely computer-animated feature film. This film shows the growing relationship between an old cowboy toy, Woody, and an astronaut action figure, Buzz Lightyear. They both compete to be their toy owner, Andy’s, favorite toy, but then have to work together after they get separated from Andy. This film is a favorite of many and for good reason.

“Mulan”

This 1998 film takes place in China during the Han dynasty where a daughter of an elderly warrior, Mulan, takes the place of her father in the Chinese military. She impersonates a man to be qualified and trains to fight off the invasion. She goes through this adventure alongside her pet dragon, Mushu, while falling in love with a captain. The movie shows that women are capable of anything, and I think that’s an important takeaway from the film. Us women can do whatever we set our minds to, just like Mulan, and this is a timeless theme.

“Lilo & Stitch”

This movie circulates around a young Hawaiian girl named Lilo who adopts a “dog” that she names “Stitch,” but he is secretly an alien that is wanted by the galaxy. While he is a genetic experiment that lacks the qualities of an average pet, Lilo imposes her belief of ohana, which means family in Hawaiian culture, and she guides Stitch in caring for others. This is a feel-good film with core themes of family.

“The Lion King”

Finally, I have to wrap up this list with a monumental Disney animated film. This heart wrenching film revolves around a young lion, Simba, who is going to take over the throne after his father, Mufasa. Mufasa’s spiteful brother, Scar, murders Mufasa, to which he blames on Simba, leading to Simba running away and Scar taking over the throne. While in exile, Simba meets his true friends, Pumbaa and Timon. When his childhood friend, Nala, finds him and discloses the truth about his father, Simba goes home to challenge Scar and take over the throne that is rightfully his. This is a powerful film that can be watched time and time again.

Disney+ is truly a trip down memory lane full of movies that will evoke happy feelings. As a college student, it is essential to take time away from all of your responsibilities and find activities that will allow you to de-stress. Disney+ is a useful streaming platform that can help with alleviating stress and bring back pleasant memories.

Kayla is currently a Communication Studies major at Temple University who enjoys writing to spread awareness and positivity.
When Rachel isn't obsessively drinking iced coffee by the gallon or binge watching true crime videos on YouTube, you can probably find her writing about her failed love life. She is currently a  junior (*she's ancient*) journalism major at Temple University, and is a Her Campus Temple Campus Correspondent, a Temple Student Government Social Media Manager and a 2020 Owl Team Student Coordinator.