Wellness

To My Lovely Men: Fear is Not a Weakness.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

“Hey, you okay?” 

These three words can make a greater impact than you can imagine. Did you know about 1.2 million people attempted suicide in the United States in 2020 (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention)? On average, there are about 130 suicides a day (American Foundation for Suicide Prevention). Those numbers seem a lot, right? It’s saddening and terrifying at the same time.  

With the month of September in session, advocacy for Suicide Prevention Awareness Month (SPAM) should be prioritized, especially in college among your peers.  

Suicidal thoughts creep in when you least expect it, a chokehold feeling you cannot get rid of—following you around every second without giving you a chance to breathe. Such thoughts can affect any person regardless of gender, age, background, etc. While we may check up on our female friends, we often overlook our male friends.  

A stereotypical thought constructed upon societal standards is that men are supposed to be tough. One inch of vulnerability can be interpreted as being weak and incapable. Rewinding back to the past, the image of men was rather a fanatical image. An independent, fearless man who can be deemed as the caretaker of the household was the golden standard. If a standard like this was placed upon you, wouldn’t you be hesitant to reveal your inner thoughts?  

Many do not have an outlet for expressing their intrusive thoughts; instead, they hold them inside. Thus, creating a larger problem at hand, where their feelings can rupture at any moment.  

In order to break away from this overarching stigma of “tough” men, make sure to check up on them. It may not seem like much, but they appreciate it more than you think. Be aware of any unusual signs or behaviors by your peers. Some may be having a bad day, but that one bad day may be the end for them. It is never too late to put a smile on your friend’s face.  

Lisa Uddin

Temple '25

Hi, my name is Lisa! I am a current staff writer and secretary at Her Campus Temple. I cover topics related to healthcare, beauty, and any relevant news on the media or at Temple’s campus. I am a junior, Health Information Management student at Temple University. Beyond Her Campus, I am involved various clubs such as Period and Temple’s Health Information Management Student Association (HIMSA). I am the social media manager for HIMSA, and create content for the club on X and instagram. I have a strong passion for poetry, and I enjoy immersing myself in literature during my leisure hours. Whether it's delving into poetic works or writing my own short poems.