This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Many people in this world rely on online shopping for their needs/wants. It’s all about your self control when it comes to shopping for personal needs. Do you really need all of these items or do you just want them?

The world is now very advanced when it comes to online shopping. They have all different types of online shopping variations which include: AmazonPrime, Ebay, Target, Poshmark, UberEats, InstaCart, GoPuff, etc. The list goes on and on, and these online shopping apps are only going to continue to grow daily because of all of the people that use them daily during this worldwide pandemic.

Avoiding scams: 

As many of you know, online fraud is very common while shopping online. Please be cautious of who you give your credit card information to, especially during this challenging time. There are a lot of hackers on the internet that will take your credit card information and completely rob you. So please keep track of all your spendings over the years, and always check your statements regularly. This way you’ll be very organized with your money and you won’t ever go broke. Always make sure the website you’re shopping at is secure as well, before purchasing anything. Also, try to avoid public wifi as much as possible. This is just another way for hackers to hack into your 

Keep your purchases under control:

Make sure you know the merchant and their reputation very well before purchasing their products. A lot of online stores offer new products, this way the customers buy these new products. Set a limit for yourself, and try your best not to go over it. Saving your money is a very important factor to live by. I know the store has great bargains, trust me I know. Always make sure to check the company’s shipping terms as well, before going through with your purchase completely. Tracking your shipment is extremely important, so you properly receive your package with no issues. Just make sure you are up to date with your shipping updates, so you do not miss your package when it gets delivered.

Very easy to overspend while online shopping:

A lot of stores have discounted prices and free shipping to make people spend more money while online shopping. Online shopping is slowly taking over, which is bad for small local businesses. This proves that people would rather have something delivered to their doorstep, then go into a shopping mall for obvious reasons. The pandemic is something we all have to deal with, and some people just tend to deal with it differently than others. 

Overall, online shopping can be extremely addictive which can turn into a lifelong obsession, a lifestyle. Make sure when you’re online shopping you avoid any type of scams, and keep your purchases under control. It’s very easy to blow your money while online shopping, so consider this your fair warning. Everybody deserves to treat themselves when the time is right, but don’t let it fully take over your life. Spend your money wisely!

Senior at Temple University :)
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!