raven pilates instructor workout videos youtube?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
raven pilates instructor workout videos youtube?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Courtesy of Netflix © 2022
Wellness

Tips for Starting a Successful Workout Routine 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Working out in college can be difficult but it’s attainable 

Getting into a routine of working out is hard enough as it is, especially for college students. On top of trying to remain healthy and get to the gym, we’re also balancing school work, a social life, and for many– a part-time job. Having a workout routine in college doesn’t have to be unattainable. Personally, I didn’t have a normal “routine” for working out until I got to college and learned to manage my time better. Below, I will be sharing some of my personal tips on how to maintain a regular gym routine for those who may have never had one. 

My first piece of advice is simply to just make a plan. Have an idea of when/what days you can make it to the gym or squeeze in an hour of working out. If you’re the type of person that likes to have things written down, try adding your gym routine to your school planner. This will help you remember and make it seem just as important as attending a class. Going along with this, make sure you have a plan in your head of what you’re going to do once you get to the gym.  

Whether it be weights first or cardio, you don’t want to aimlessly be standing in the middle of the floor not knowing where to begin. Another tip I have is to remember that working out does not necessarily have to mean going to the gym. It can be hard for many students who may live far from the Temple University gyms or don’t have transportation, to make it to the gym all the time. But a good workout can also happen right in the comfort of your own home. There are plenty of exercises and routines available that require no equipment. For resources on equipment-free home workouts, I recommend YouTube.  

Lastly, but most importantly, have confidence in yourself. One of the biggest hurdles I had to jump when first beginning to go to the gym, was learning to get over my fear of being judged. I was worried that the fact I had never been there would be obvious and that everyone would be looking at me. As soon as I got started, I learned everyone is really only paying attention to themselves. Don’t stress about being judged or watched when you start working out. I promise, no one is even paying attention to you because they’re all caught up in their own workout.  

It’s no secret that as a college student, finding the time to work out can be tricky. While it might seem like a nearly unattainable feat– with a game plan and proper time management, working out will start to seem just like another part of your daily routine. 

I am a sophomore nursing major at Temple University; writing for the fashion and beauty section. I love to read, write, play with my dogs, and be outside! This is my first year as a writer for Her Campus, and I am so excited to get to be a part of this organization and get to express myself through my writing!