Style > Beauty

Tips and Tricks For Nurturing Your Wavy Hair 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Wavy hair is known for its natural volume and movement, but it can also be prone to frizz and dryness. It is essential to adopt a hair care routine that nourishes and hydrates without weighing down the strands. Here are some of my tips for how to make your wavy hair look its best.

The Shea Moisture Magic  

Shea Moisture, a brand celebrated for its commitment to natural ingredients, has become a staple in my wavy hair care routine. The key to their success lies in their use of organic and sustainably sourced ingredients, free from harmful additives that can strip the hair of its natural oils. My go-to shampoo and conditioners from Shea Moisture are their 100% Virgin Coconut Oil shampoo and conditioner and the Moringa and Avocado Power Greens shampoo and conditioner.   

Gentle Cleansing for Wavy Hair  

Wavy hair benefits from a sulfate-free, moisturizing shampoo. Look for products that cleanse without stripping natural oils. I’ve found success in rotating between different gentle shampoos to prevent product buildup, allowing my waves to maintain their vibrancy.  

Hydration is Crucial  

Invest in a good conditioner to keep your wavy strands hydrated. Applying conditioner from mid-length to the ends helps lock in moisture and minimize frizz. Choose a product that suits your hair’s unique needs, whether it’s lightweight for loose waves or more intensive for tighter curls.  

Detangle with Care  

Wavy hair can be prone to tangling, especially after washing (I am the queen of tangled hair!) Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to gently detangle, starting from the tips and working your way up. This prevents breakage and preserves the natural pattern of your waves.  

Choose Products Wisely  

While my personal favorite is Shea Moisture, it’s essential to explore various products to find what works best for your wavy hair. Look for those containing natural ingredients like argan oil, aloe vera, or coconut oil – ingredients known for their hydrating and nourishing properties.  

Occasional Deep Conditioning  

Treat your wavy hair to a deep conditioning treatment every few weeks. This helps restore moisture, repair damage, and enhance the overall health and shine of your waves. I personally love the Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask. I use this mask 1-2 times a week and apply it throughout my hair, focusing on the mid-length to the ends. Then, I follow up with the Moroccan Oil Treatment once my hair is dry. I apply a small amount to my hands and run the treatment from mid-length to the ends of my hair. Both of these products together never fail to leave my hair looking healthy with silk and shine.  

Personal Touch  

As someone with wavy hair, I can attest to the transformative effects of these methods. Incorporating these into my routine has not only improved the health of my hair but has also boosted my confidence in rocking my natural waves.  

Caring for wavy hair involves a delicate balance of hydration, nourishment, and frizz control. Embrace your waves, experiment with various products, and develop a personalized routine that brings out the best in your unique hair. With the right care, your wavy locks can shine with health and liveliness. 

Ilana Martin

Temple '24

Hey! I'm Ilana Martin, a senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University, and I've been diving into the world of fashion and beauty as the Staff Writer for Her Campus Temple. Blending my academic pursuits with my passion for style, I've found a unique voice in celebrating diversity, self-love, and authenticity. From dissecting media representations to covering campus fashion events, each article aims to inspire confidence and challenge conventional norms. As I approach graduation, I'm grateful for the opportunity to leave a mark on Temple's community and the Her Campus chapter, redefining beauty standards and embracing individuality—one article at a time. Cheers to the next chapter! Instagram: @ilanamartinn