Thousands Flood Philadelphia Streets in Support of Justice for Trayvon Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

On Friday March 23rd thousands of Philadelphians marched down Market Street toward Center City with a symphony of car horns, affirmative yells, and vocal chants as their soundtrack. The marching citizens were heading from 30th Street Station to Love Park with an objective to bring awareness and justice to the family of Trayvon Martin, a 17 year old boy who was killed on February 26th by a self-proclaimed neighborhood watchman. Trayvon’s killer, a man by the name of George Zimmerman, has yet to be charged and presently walks as a free man.

The tone of the protest, called the Million Hoodie March, was one of defiance, expressing that people will no longer stand for injustices imposed upon them by the establishments built to aid them.

For a mile and a half 2,500…5,000…eventually 8,000 people filled Broad Street, a main Center City Philadelphian thoroughfare. The road was closed to vehicle traffic and chants such as “NO JUSTICE NO PEACE” and “I AM TRAYVON MARTIN” became the sounds filling the street instead, as people young, old, black, and white took a stand for an injustice so gross it has caused international uproar. The mayor of Sanford, Florida called the area a tinderbox, referencing the atmosphere surrounding the murder of Trayvon Martin. Philadelphia’s Million Hoodie March, however, was aimed at peaceful uprising.

Upon arriving at Love Park, protesters were directed into the park and poised to hear testimony from several scheduled speakers. Among the many was State Representative Vanessa Brown, whose speech moved the audience multiple times throughout.

“There is no justice in the criminal justice system”, Brown said passionately, evoking equally as passionate responses from the marchers who yelled in agreement.

Speakers urged the crowd to educate themselves on their justice system, educate their children on proper attire and behavior to prevent repeats of the Trayvon Martin incident, and to continue to fight in Trayvon’s case to seek permanent societal and political change.

“NO JUSTICE, NO PEACE!” broke out amongst the protestors with fists and peace signs raised in unity.
            Acknowledging the unity was Marquis Chamberlain.

“He got killed for walking to the store, getting skittles, being black. We out here, it’s black unity out here. You know.” stated Chamberlain.

His statement embodies the mood of the Million Hoodie March; a mood that, despite the dismal cause for the movement, was one positivity, hope and prosperity for black people and all people.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!