This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Reconnecting with old friends can boost your mood and help you remember who we once were. Diving into a past filled with memories can bring up so much nostalgia and self-reflection, revealing how much we’ve changed and grown. 

Two years down with COVID and it still feels surreal that this is something we have to live with. During the pandemic, it’s been hard trying to make friends — whether it be in-person or online. 

Recently, an old friend of mine reached out to me and we reconnected. Being able to reconnect with old friends helps us remember our past, as whole, and can remind us what we find important in life. It grants us the opportunity to socialize and feel close to home when we are far from each other.

Connecting with an old friend felt very nostalgic to me and brought back so many memories from the past. With COVID and social distancing, it helped me to tap into old memories from the past and continue reconnecting.

When things are uncertain and difficult, talking to old friends can also be just the outlet we need to face some stressful situations. Old friends can bring you back to your old roots and help you figure yourself out because they provide a brief throwback to a perspective you once held and may have forgotten.

Being able to make friends can make the whole experience of being virtual so much better. Although, online friendships can be difficult because the person isn’t there all the time, there are many things that can make that friendship even stronger than before. 

Reconnecting isn’t limited to meeting up in person. Watching a movie and simply maintaining a conversation sometimes can be integral to regaining a friend. The time you share together serves as a building block for your relationship and, with being virtual, there are so many things you can do.

Thinking outside of the box, if you would rather just talk to each other, consider recording a podcast so you can listen to each other while immortalizing a memory in the making. Starting a podcast is something that can be very therapeutic and it can be a great way to be able to get to know each other more. 

During these lonely times, it is important to be able to stay connected with friends and reach out when you need to talk. Speaking about memories and the great adventures you once had with an old friend can be really rewarding and uplifting. No matter how long ago something might feel, reconnecting can emulate what it’d be like to relive it all over again.

Nathaly is a college student at Temple University in her second year. She is currently majoring in journalism and minoring in dance.