This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

As a college student, I am rarely alone. 

Whether it be my classmates, roommates or friends, I am often surrounded by people for a large majority of my day. While I enjoy the company, a small part of me just wants to sit in my room alone in silence. I believe that we should all start listening to that small part of ourselves, as a little alone time can have significant benefits on our overall well-being. 

I want to clarify that when I say alone, I do not mean lonely. Being alone and being lonely are two completely different things. You can be alone and still have strong relationships with others. Just as you would with a friend, you need to spend time by yourself to strengthen the bond you have with yourself.  Although this can be hard, especially for students who live in a dorm or share a room with another person, it can and should be done. The most important relationship you have is with yourself, so the occasional time alone is necessary.  

I found that alone time helped me learn more about myself. When you are around people, it is easy to conform to whoever is around you. Because of this, I always make sure to carve out some much-needed time for self-reflection, so I can assess my thoughts and feelings without outside influence. One of the best ways to do this is to take yourself on a walk. Try walking around campus or Center City, I guarantee that you will start to discover more and more about yourself. It is crucial to know your interests, and what you do and do not like. It’ll help you learn how to properly take care of yourself and avoid situations that do not serve you.  

Along with this, a little alone time can do wonders for your mental health. Alone time allows us to recharge, so we can perform better in different areas of our life. This is especially necessary for introverts, who thrive on alone time. In fact, alone time is also known to increase productivity, as people tend to work more efficiently alone and with limited distractions. This way are able to concentrate on the task at hand. Therefore, take some time to unwind and complete some tasks you have been putting off. We cannot perform to the best of our ability if we do not focus on ourselves and our needs.  

While you should continue to socialize and form strong relationships with others, remember to spend some quality time with yourself once in a while. Break the stigma of doing things alone and take yourself out to dinner or watch a movie. There is no shame in spending some time alone. It is perfectly normal and healthy to enjoy your own company.  

Meghan is a sophomore psychology major at Temple University. She enjoys reading, traveling to new places, and eating mozzarella sticks.