This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

The nominees, diversity, lack of BIPOC/intersectional representation/wins.

The Grammys this year had many historical events as well as moments that got people talking.  

First, they celebrated 50 years of hip-hop. Hip Hop originated in the Bronx by DJ Kool Herc, a Jamaican-American. This would be celebrated later that night and mentioned throughout the night. There was an eclectic group of nominees this year. Beyoncé, Adele, and Kendrick Lamar lead with the most nominations. 

This is along with Bad Bunny, Harry Styles, Taylor Swift, Steve Lacy, and more. There is more representation, but the question is, is the visual representation of a Spanish-speaking man, a black woman, a man who comes from a disenfranchised community, or any other identity/intersectionality enough? 

Prior to last year’s Grammy’s, there was already a discussion about ASL interpreters going viral for their work. This was “an accessibility measure” before last year’s televised Grammys ceremony began. The award show had already garnered viral attention for its use of ASL interpreters on the Red Carpet. While this accessibility measure is rarely presented during major awards shows, the presence of the sign language interpreters was the byproduct of more than a year’s worth of conversations between the Recording Academy and Recording Artists and Music Professionals With Disabilities (RAMPD). This is a global network of talent and industry members who consult and advise around disability inclusion and accessibility for the music and events industry.  

Lastly, Beyoncé was snubbed “Album of the Year” award. Surprisingly, she has never won, even though she has earned the most Grammy’s in history. This meant a lot to the Black community, especially black women. For people of other intersectionalities, such as the LGBTQIA+ community, which she mentioned on behalf of one of her awards named…, it was memorable.  

The history of electronic dance music, electro-pop and similar categories have been whitewashed, but this genre of music originated from House and Techno music from the ’80s within the Black, Hispanic, and LGBTQIA+ community. These three intersectionalities mean something to these specific groups, and the Grammys allowed her to demonstrate that.  

In this sense, diversity is beyond the visual representation and goes into the profound inner workings of what it means for underrepresented people.  

I am pursuing journalism, but being a creative is the main goal. I expressed my creativity through singing, writing, dancing, and analyzing music, books, articles, TV, and movies. I speak passionately about world history, sociology, and culture/sub-cultures. I also love putting luxe together and looking for inspiration. I love learning about cameras, acting, directing, screenwriting, cinematography, film history, and cross-cultural theories and discussions with most, if not all these.