Ten Points to Temple: Temple University announces its first LGBTQ scholarship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Let me just begin this article by saying, that I am glad that the University to which I attend, understands the
concept of “getting on board before getting behind”.

Think of LGBTQ acceptance and activism as a giant, happy, welcoming, bandwagon that is barreling up the figurative United states of America shaped slope. State by state, person by person, group by group (university by university), everyone is jumping on board. Temple has not only gotten on board but has leaped on board with both feet and is standing at the front smiling with an immense amount of glee.

Let me elaborate. This week as opened up my handy dandy TU-mail I received something from the university that grabbed my attention. We officially have our first LGBTQ scholarship, that will be awarded to students who are active in the advocacy of said community. The Marc David $5,000 Scholarship is now ready and open for applicants— let the history be made.

This universities exclusive scholarship, so cleverly announced during national coming out week, is not an occurrence to be taken lightly. Let me take this moment to stand on my preverbal soap box and shout THIS IS A BIG F****** DEAL (shout out to Joe Biden).

To put this into perspective for all of you, I invite you to think about the 1960’s, a time when African-American equal rights activism was at its peak. Put yourself in that time period and imagine a scholarship exclusively for African-American students coming to a head then. Wow, right? Granted, I will concede to the fact that the anti-rights movement at that time was more organized, violent, and influential but none the less, still pretty huge.

The Marc David Scholarship insures that in thirty years when little Johnny is reading the LGBTQ rightschapter of his text book, Temple University will be among the establishments that will appear in
a favorable light. Johnny will love him some TU.

This is not only a smart decision based upon basic human decency but the PR pay off from this award will be huge. This new “Temple Made” agenda now includes a population of students that 5 and 10 years ago was a taboo to acknowledge. This scholarship and this new branding, makes our university appear welcoming, in touch, and current. Therefore extremely favorable to beneficiaries and future applicants

The moral of the story here ladies and gents, is that our humble university is a “considerably” hip place to be. We have been branded or “made”, we have utilized the “hash tag”, and now more than ever before, we have become accepting. I for one, say ten points to Temple.

Jaimee Swift is a Senior majoring in Communications. One of her many dreams is to become a broadcast journalist and to meet and work with the infamous Anderson Cooper. Her hobbies include reading everything in sight, running, dancing crazily, laughing uber hard, watching movies, and consuming as much juice as possible. Jaimee is so overjoyed to be a part of such a magnificent site such as Her Campus Temple University. Ever since the days of her youth, she has strives to make a difference and bring positive change to all that she touches. She still holds on to that mindset and hopes to bring positivity and creativity to Her Campus Temple University!