Temple University’s Hidden Gem: The Wind Tunnel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Anyone who attends Temple University has experienced the infamous North Philly wind whipping through streets and buildings, but the largest area is between the residence halls Morgan North and South. This wind tunnel is a hidden gem of Temple University; being a huge part of student life that is relatively undisclosed to the general public. Many students express dissatisfaction with the tunnel, reporting physical injuries and loss of property, such as scattered homework pages or fly-away-caps, but it’s just another thing that makes Temple a little different than anyone else.

To combat negativity, we have compiled a list of reasons we love this area.

1.  We don’t go to the gym anymore 

And, why should we? Temple’s wind tunnel serves as a natural treadmill, and offers a more intensive workout than the standard design. The wind cultivated in the tunnel places resistance not just on our legs, but also on every part of our bodies.  Ever thought about exercising your neck before? Now you can.The sideways currents offer oblique work as well.

2. We don’t use foundation

The wind tunnel covers just about everything short of mascara, providing travellers with flushed cheeks, bright eyes, and edgy hairstyles.

Maybe she’s born with it.  Maybe she’s Temple-Made.

3.  Our campus is a runway

What?  It’s not like the VS Angels hair blows by itself. Grab some friends and a camera, and strut your stuff at the wind tunnel.  The experience is guaranteed to be memorable, and you may even be able to use the material to fluff up your resume.  Make sure your camera is equipped with a protective covering, however, as small objects are often reported to shatter in the tunnel’s vicinity.    

4.  We can’t hear the haters

Afraid to have that awkward talk with that sort-of-friend whose shirt you lost, or ex who is “just looking for some closure?”  Instead, conveniently switch the location to Temple’s wind tunnel!  Neither will be able to hear what the other is saying, and, if you’re lucky, a gust of wind will knock out your aggressor before permanent emotional damage is done.

5.  There are some things we want to have blown away

Midterms are almost over, and we’re willing to bet you’re over them, too.  You won’t need those study-sheets anymore—and we know you don’t want them!  Why toss them lazily in the hallway when you can produce a much more dramatic display outdoors? 

As the seasons change, and breezes settle, our beloved wind tunnel will temporarily disappear until next year.  We thank you, we love you, and we’ll see you again soon.   

Student journalist at Temple Univerisity with a love for health, humanity and story-telling. Check out my bylines on Philly.com, College Fashionista and The Temple News.
Samara is currently a senior Journalism major at Temple University. She has always possessed a passion for writing and currently serves as the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Temple. Eventually, she hopes to work in the magazine industry. In her free time, she loves exploring the city of Philadelphia, trying new restaurants, and attending concerts. Samara can be reached at samara.grossel@temple.edu.