Temple University: Under Construction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Temple University is a college on the rise. It is constantly evolving to give its students the best chance to succeed and complete in their field of study locally and nationally. With that being said, Temple’s campus is physically getting updated as well. If you’ve walked around campus recently, it is hard to miss the construction that we see everywhere.

Barton Hall, a building where a fair share of us has completed our science gen-eds, is being demolished and the space will provide with a brand new library. Set for completion in 2018, the new four-story library will provide students with state-of-the art 24-hour study spaces, offices, a Center for Learning and Student Success, a new Writing Center, outdoor balcony, food services, and of course Temple’s academic collections and resources. This beautiful 170 million dollar project is going to give Temple students a place to fully take advantage of their studies.

Liacouras Walk has been particularly difficult to navigate recently, especially in front of Alter Hall. The soon-to-be updated walkway will provide easier access to Wachman Hall, better draining systems for when it gets rainy on campus, and a more open social area for students. This construction should be completed by the end of September.

Possibly the most exciting thing to come out of this construction is the creation of a green quad. Don’t we all love soaking up the sun on Beury Beach? Temple noticed, and has decided to further expand the green space north where Beury Hall currently is situated. This new quad will give Temple students an even bigger grassy area that will fit beautifully with the new Science Education and Research Center (better known as the SERC), right across the street.

These are just a few of the many construction projects underway at Temple University. So for all of you that are bothered by the loudness of the construction and the “eye-sore” it can be sometimes, just remember there are amazing things around the corner. If you are expected to graduate before the construction is complete, remember these new additions will further advance Temple’s reputation as cutting-edge university, and you will always be known as a Temple Owl.

Maddie McDonald is a Senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University. Aside from being a staff writer at Her Campus Temple, Maddie is the PR/Community Director for WHIP Temple Student Radio. Maddie is pursuing a job in radio, but enjoys writing about current trends in media, specifically music and sports. In her free time Maddie enjoys playing basketball, tweeting, and perfecting her spotify playlists.  She is also a writing intern for Trebel Music.
Kaitlin is an alumna of Temple University where she graduated with a B.A. in Journalism and a minor in Political Science. At Temple, she served as Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Temple and was a founding member and former Public Relations Vice President for the Iota Chi chapter of Alpha Xi Delta.  She currently serves Her Campus Media as a Region Leader and Chapter Advisor and was formally a Feature Writer for Fashion, Beauty and Health.