Life > Academics

Temple Students Share What They Wish They Knew During College Application Season  

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

College application season is here! Millions of senior high school students are currently in the midst of applying to colleges. Anyone who has gone through that process knows how stressful and overwhelming it was. Here’s what Temple University students wish they knew when applying to college.  

“Prioritize what you want instead of what others want.” 

Brenna Torrence, Senior Public Health Major 

When applying to colleges, Torrence says she was primarily focused on finances and what her mom wanted. However, she was going to be the one to be at whatever school she chose for the next four years. It’s more important to prioritize what you want out of the college experience than what others want. 

“It’s better to do it early than wait until the last minute.” 

Lindsey Hansell, Freshman Health Professions Major  

Your senior year of high school is supposed to be filled with fun and exciting last moments with your friends. However, these are limited when you wait until the day before your application’s due date to start. Hansell expresses that the longer she waited to submit her applications, the more stressed and overwhelmed she felt. It took away from the thrilling senior-year experience she wanted to have.  

“It’s going to take a while to get your decisions back.” 

Natalie Knox, Junior English Major  

The anticipation of waiting on your acceptances (or rejections) can be the most anxious part of the college application process. Knox says that she didn’t realize that some schools would be waiting up until May 1st to release their decisions. Some even let her know after that deposit deadline. If she knew this ahead of time, it would’ve saved her a lot less sleepless nights and going crazy over what her final decision would be.  

“I wish I had more guidance on the application essays. Also, put a lot less pressure on yourself when choosing a major.” 

Scott Blender, Senior Mechanical Engineering Major  

Blender feels that he didn’t know what he was getting himself into when it came to the personal and supplemental essays. It’s easy to overthink what you want to write about and overcomplicate the prompt. Your personal essay is to show who you are as a person, and supplementals show why you’d be a good fit for the school. Colleges want to know who you are, what you’ve experienced and what your values are. In hindsight, Blender wishes he received more help on completing these. In addition, he says that it’s difficult to know what you want to do with the rest of your life when you’re only a senior in high school, and even in college. Blender chooses his classes based on what he’s interested in and excited about. It’s helpful to apply to a school and/or program that has flexibility like this if you’re still unsure about your major.  

“Apply to as many scholarships and grants as you can.” 

Danica Day, Sophomore Journalism Major  

There are so many scholarships and grants available, you just need to look for them, expresses Day. Her senior year of high school, she only completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form and didn’t apply for any other types of aid. Grants and scholarships can be a lifesaver in cutting down the vast cost of college. Most of them take less than an hour to apply, too! College Board has a scholarship database that’s updated annually that makes the search for them so much easier.  

“I did not have to stress myself out as much as I did.” 

Mackenzie Miller, Senior Secondary Education and English Major 

Miller reminisces on the scene in Booksmart where Molly realizes that, after her only priority was school, the ‘slackers’ also got into really good colleges. Miller was so focused on making her applications good that she didn’t have time to truly enjoy high school. It is absolutely okay to – and you should – care about school, but it’s not the only thing you should care about.  

If you’re a high school senior, you’re going to get through college application season. My biggest piece of advice is to enjoy the decision process! It’s supposed to be an exciting time, and don’t let anything or anyone take that away from you. Just make sure you prioritize what you want over anything else.  

Gianna is a staff writer for Her Campus at Temple University, and a sophomore at Temple University. She usually writes under the Health section, and often covers her personal struggles with mental health and body dysmorphia. Gianna has loved writing ever since she was little. In high school, she had an internship with her local newspaper, also writing for the health section. In college she writes The Temple News and the Templar Yearbook. Her home is in Southern Delaware with her three dogs (who she misses dearly) Keno, Caesar, and Nero. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @ggvogess