This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Group fitness sessions here at Temple University are often overlooked due to people being intimidated by the whole thing or just not knowing that these sessions even exist. A perk that comes with your tuition is being able to utilize the IBC recreation center and take advantage of its various fitness classes.  

I became fascinated with what the IBC had to offer, so I decided to attend three classes: Zumba, “Kardio” Kick, and Hip Hop. Here are my reviews on how the classes went and what happens during a typical class. 

1. Zumba 

The first class I attended was Zumba, offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. I attended the Tuesday session and when I first walked in, I noticed there was a decent amount of people which made me think this must be a popular class.  

Once the session started, I fell in love with it immediately. I had so much fun the whole-time dancing to catchy Latin music while being able to sweat. The class felt like a beginner level so anyone of any age can join in without feeling behind.  

I personally find more pleasure in being able to have fun while exercising and Zumba definitely gave me the best of both worlds. I would recommend attending one of the Zumba classes if you are looking for an enjoyable workout and are into dancing as well.  

2. Kardio Kick 

I will admit, signing up for this kickboxing class was a little intimidating since I didn’t know what to expect. I attended the Wednesday session and this time there were not as many people. I think this is due to others feeling the same way I did.  

These classes consist of an intense cardiovascular workout using kickboxing and cross-training techniques. This class is a beginner level but felt like it could be intermediate or above with the amount of sweating and exercising we did.  

I got an exceptional, intense workout from this class. We worked out our whole body through cardio, abs, legs, and arms. I hadn’t had an intense workout like that in a while so my body was shocked by the amount of movement I was doing. Although it was more difficult than Zumba and a lot of work, I felt amazing after and rewarded that I was able to fully complete the session.  

3. Hip Hop 

I must admit, this hip-hop class I took was my favorite! I have danced hip hop most of my life so this brought back memories from when I would be consistently dancing.  

This session was offered on a Thursday, and the songs were super fun to dance to. I felt energized by the instructor and those around me. Some of the dance moves were like the Zumba class I attended but we danced to different music.  

This class is beginner-level, and the goal is to exercise and have fun, so you feel amazing after the workout is completed. The class was filled with a decent amount of people but there was still enough room to move around. I recommend this class to those who like to dance with more freestyle. 

After attending three different group fitness classes, I know I want to continue going to these weekly classes as well as attending other ones that the IBC offers. I encourage you all to take advantage of attending these classes if you are looking for a new workout in your routine! You can check out the group fitness schedules here.

Ilana Martin

Temple '24

Hey! I'm Ilana Martin, a senior Media Studies and Production major at Temple University, and I've been diving into the world of fashion and beauty as the Staff Writer for Her Campus Temple. Blending my academic pursuits with my passion for style, I've found a unique voice in celebrating diversity, self-love, and authenticity. From dissecting media representations to covering campus fashion events, each article aims to inspire confidence and challenge conventional norms. As I approach graduation, I'm grateful for the opportunity to leave a mark on Temple's community and the Her Campus chapter, redefining beauty standards and embracing individuality—one article at a time. Cheers to the next chapter! Instagram: @ilanamartinn