Wellness

Social Distancing and Isolation is Boring, So Let’s Start Spring Cleaning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Spring is a beautiful time of year when the weather gets a little warmer, the air smells better, flowers begin to bloom and the earth is more colorful. People are outside hanging out and walking to the nearest Rita’s Water Ice…well that’s all in the past now. Just because we are cooped up inside all day doesn’t mean life has to be miserable. Check out my other article “Yes, Take Care of Yourself, Even During a Crisis.” Being in isolation is the perfect time to focus on freshening up your home to keep yourself sane and having a clear mind. With cleanliness comes luck, more successfulness and positive energy.

Disinfect and Sanitze

Especially with this virus going around, it is so important to disinfect and sanitize all surfaces that you or your loved ones come in contact with like banisters, counter tops, desks, doorknobs, lights, or anything else really that is being touched. These surfaces should be cleaned periodically throughout the day. Remember that you are keeping doors and windows closed to prevent the spread or contamination from the COVID-19 virus coming in or going out of your home, so be mindful of the kinds of cleaning products that you use or how strong a smell they might have. Don’t forget to pay attention to your clothes, too. If you or someone you live with are going to the grocery store, or are even outside just to do homework on the porch, do your laundry. Do not wear those clothes again to lounge in the house. When you go outside, don’t forget to wear a mask and carry disinfectant wipes or hand sanitizer. I’m not trying to scare you, but the more effort we put into being mindful about limiting the amount of and distance germs are being spread, the less risk you put you or your family at getting the virus.

Dusting

I personally don’t find dusting tedious at all, especially if it is being done already periodically. I already always wipe down dusty surfaces when I see that they need attention, so when I dust the house I pay more attention to places I rarely come in contact with. It is not healthy to let dust build up in your home as it can cause respiratory problems. After I dust, I always vacuum all the rooms in the house just to be sure that I got everything. Vacuuming is important to not just to clean things that you can visibly see, but also picking up what is not seen with the naked eye, like allergens, dirt, dust mites and little bugs that may have snuck into the home.

Beautify

Sometimes people are so focused on getting rid of germs that they forget about literally what is right in front of their face: windows. Windows can also get dirty, of course more often if people are constantly touching them. Not only are you getting rid of those smudges, but your home will just have a cleaner appearance when wiping away at mirrors and windows…wow, finally you can actually see outside for once. I have never met anyone else who has thought that painting a home is a fun activity rather than an actual task other than my mother, but why not? Since you already have nowhere to go, another idea is to coat your chipped paint or you might even get bored of your same blank wall everyday and choose a different shade or if your parents (or landlord) lets you, maybe put up some cool designs. My go-to when decorating the house is to put out more flowers and candles but if you really are feeling your creative self like my mother, make some new artwork to put around to make the atmosphere more lively.

Declutter and Organize

You ever wonder why something you just had went missing? Well, that’s probably because there is a lack of organization…and there’s no judgment there. Some people honestly just don’t know how to organize. There is no need to overthink it with “should I organize my things by color or alphabetical order or…?” Sometimes all I need is something as simple as how I put my bedding on the highest shelf on my closet, my hats with my scarves and gloves in the middle and my dresses and pants on hangers while my shirts and workout clothes are in my dresser. The closet in itself is a project. It’s up to you how you want to organize, but I like organizing by types of clothing, like dresses, jackets, pants, skirts and work uniforms in sections and then by color. It makes getting ready for the day quicker. 

I have boxes and cabinets to do the rest of the job, for my office supplies, important documents and jewelry and everything else. Label the boxes or cabinets or color-code them or use clear ones to minimize the confusion all together. The most important thing to keep in mind is that whenever you use something or take it out of its designated spot, when you come back into your room, put it back in its “home.” This has been a problem with me for ages. I will be out with friends for a day and I would bring sunscreen, sunglasses, a change of clothes, my wallet and a few other things and come home to put everything on my dresser. I hate coming home and seeing my dresser so cluttered so now I just keep my essentials there, so anything I take out of the house with me regularly and that is essential is there. 

Did you ever find something in your room and then wondered why you ever bought it in the first place? I used to be a bit of a compulsive shopper and so it’s important to take inventory or your room and go through your things and see what you use on a daily basis. Do you really need three caddies? I mean, you might like dorm life, but I am sure your graduating friend could benefit from one of those, too. Donate what you don’t need or what you don’t use or give them away to friends. You might even learn a thing or two about your spending habits along the way that need fixing.

It’s typical to disinfect and clean a home every now and then, but you should be cleaning your house always especially with this virus scare. Sometimes cleaning can be a tedious task, so why not round everyone up for a fun family activity while everyone is home? It will get done faster and you can play blast some music too. Spring cleaning will help you stay more focused and happy in the long run. Stay safe and healthy, my friends.

Ashley Regina Morris is a staff writer for HerCampus at Temple University. She is a communication studies major with a minor in tourism and hospitality management and balances academic life while working at a restaurant and for a hotel. Come to her for fashion and beauty advice if you are on your way to the working world or are a commuter student.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!