Wellness

So You Have the Freshman Flu; Here is How to Fight It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

No one warned me about how easy it is to get sick in college. 

A couple weeks into my freshman year, I was downing Mucinex like candy and constantly taking trips to CVS. I started to notice that the people around me, particularly freshman, were experiencing a similar sickness. Whether it be in my dorm or the classroom, I was constantly hearing coughs and sniffles. 

Many freshmen do not realize the impact college has on your physical health. You are suddenly put into an environment where you are surrounded by other students almost all the time in close quarters. This is a recipe for illness. Along with this, the dorms, or at least my dorm, produce exorbitant amounts of dust and pollutants. Since you are still adjusting to your environment, it is natural that your body is vulnerable. I am here to explain how I fought the “freshman flu” and how you can, too. 

Most people are aware that your body needs sleep. However, when you are sick, sleep is essential in fighting sickness. I would recommend sleeping a little bit more than usual to combat illness. Medical News Today concludes that the recommended sleep times for adults aged 18 to 64 is seven to eight hours. They also suggest adding, “1 hour of sleep a night to usual sleep times, along with at least one, if not two, naps during the day.” If you have trouble sleeping, eliminate distractions, such as noise, light, and even your phone. Do not underestimate the power that a good night’s sleep has on a person, especially those who are sick. 

Medicine or home remedies can work wonders when you are sick. It depends on personal preference, but I used a mixture of both when I was feeling sick. 

For a sore throat, try gargling with salt water to soothe your throat. All you need to do is mix a tiny bit of salt with a cup of warm water and gargle. According to WebMD, this will not cure a viral infection, it will ease your throat. If you are not a fan of salt water, my roommate introduced me to tumeric, a South Asian spice. Sprinkle a small amount of Tumeric into warm water and gargle, similar to the salt water. In fact, most warm liquids (broth, tea, etc.) will help your throat. All of these methods will help clear out your throat. 

For a cough, there are numerous methods you can take to relieve it. I find that honey helps to suppress a cough. You can mix it with tea or swallow it alone. If you believe your cough is caused by the air, try investing in a humidifier. I bought one when I was stuck with a cough, and it helped tremendously. It lessens the dry air, as dry air is not good for a cough. Air Assurance warns to use distilled water, clean the humidifier, and watch the humidity levels. Besides natural remedies, medicine often works for most symptoms of cold or illness. I recommend Tylenol, Advil, or Ibuprofen for any aches or pains. Mucinex and Tylenol Cold and Flu work well for cold symptoms. Remember to read the instructions and use caution. 

Finally, if you are showing symptoms of COVID 19, please get tested to prevent spreading! You can schedule an appointment through The Patient Health Portal or at Mitten Hall.

I hope that students this year can stay safe and well. Remember to take care of yourself and your body. Your health deserves to be a priority. 

Meghan is a sophomore psychology major at Temple University. She enjoys reading, traveling to new places, and eating mozzarella sticks.