Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

The Signs as Characters from HBO’s Succession

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

I didn’t think I would like HBO’s hit drama Succession when I started the pilot episode last year. In my eyes, the only reason to watch was for the clothing, the lavish sets, the luxury – much in the same way that Gossip Girl (and soon, its reboot) has etched its way into my memory and made me fall absolutely in love with the lifestyles of the rich and famous. 

As I became engrossed and obsessed with the first and second seasons of Succession, I began to see something form. Each and every character on the show is written beautifully, which lends the show to be a representative of the zodiac. Because everyone has a distinct personality, different hopes and dreams, and immensely different ways of running the media empire at the center of the show, they can each represent a sun sign in the zodiac. 

A disclaimer: I am not a professional astrologist. I’m a beginner in the study of astrology, so there is a lot of room for argument in this list. Spoilers for seasons one and two of Succession. 

Aries: Shiv

A fire sign, Shiv is incredibly feisty. Much like her father, she is relentless in her pursuit of success, whether in politics or the family business. However, Shiv reaches far beyond any other member of her family in terms of killer instinct. She makes difficult decisions without any doubt, and has no problem stepping over other people in the process. She takes no prisoners. Many of the best moments on the show are Shiv moments: the pants, her telling Tom that she wants an open marriage on their wedding night, her showing up to shadow the higher ups in the company after being promised the top job. She is badass. 

Taurus: Logan

In any other context, Logan would be the Aries of the show. A powerful patriarch of a media conglomerate who refuses to give up the throne? That’s Taurus energy. The stubbornness on its own is enough. Logan is powerful, but he’s also clinging to a falling empire. People are endlessly charmed by him. His children adore him, even when they hate him. And that’s where he reigns most heavy. 

Gemini: Stewy

Stewy is a lot of things, but he is mostly two-faced. He is able to convince a long-time friend to give him high power in a company that he then uses to try to swindle Kendall out of his own inheritance. He is swift and hard to describe. 

Cancer: Greg

Greg is an instantly meme-able character. He is endlessly loyal to the family, despite being ostracized by nearly every member. While he comes off as a bit dumb when it comes to everyday social interactions, he does have a pretty good knack for business, and has managed to pull himself through the ranks and become a vital piece of the Waystar-RoyCo brand. For that, he’s a Cancer. His friendships with both Tom and Kendall are incredibly important. Kendall relies on Greg, and knows that Greg genuinely cares about him. Tom is the first person to see Greg as indispensable, even if it lands them on the Senate floor. 

Leo: Tom

Tom, like any Leo, is in love with himself. Though not nearly as high on the totem pole as actual members of the Roy family, Tom manages (with some chaotic hiccups) to squeeze his way into every discussion about Logan Roy’s successor. He can sometimes be a bit too eager, he brings his all into every situation he’s placed in, and makes the most of it. The clearest example of that comes in season two’s finale episode, where he reveals to Shiv that he is unhappy in their marriage. 

Virgo: Gerri

Gerri is, in my opinion, the glue holding the Roy family together. She knows everything, she works tirelessly to keep things running smoothly, and she’s a no BS kind of lady. Yet she is not seen as a reasonable successor, which keeps her humble and keeps her story arc interesting, especially as it relates to Logan’s youngest son, Roman. 

Libra: Marcia

Marcia is easy to dislike, especially since the pilot episode of the series deals with Logan’s children refusing to give their stepmother double voting shares in their family company. At every turn, Marcia seems unlikable simply because she keeps Logan on a tight leash and keeps everything in his life balanced. Yet, as season two sees her and Logan struggle in their relationship, it becomes clear that Marcia is truly the only sane character on the show, and her absence is felt. 

Scorpio: Kendall

Kendall Roy is a lot of things. For one, he is the love of my life. But he’s also emblematic of the Scorpio, incredibly in touch with his emotions, and constantly being curtailed for the crown as a result. He does have his angry moments: gripping at the remnants of power and trying to take his father’s legacy that was promised to him, but he often falls short because of his heart. And he truly is the heart of the show. His unhealthy coping mechanisms, his constant desire for requited love, his need for physical attention from the people around him, the brooding: that’s all Scorpio. 

Sagittarius: Roman

The “joke” candidate for successor, Roman is restless for power, and is constantly trying. This is what makes him well aligned with Sagittarius – while he has needed a babysitter for a lot of his work at the company, he’s driven nonetheless. Granted, he should probably see a therapist about some of his more wild behavior (see: the Roman and Gerri relationship arc) but he is certainly someone who doesn’t like to be bossed around, and season three may bring him some real power for the first time in the course of the show. 

Capricorn: Rhea

At least part of me placed Rhea in this spot because I am biased against Capricorns, but here we go anyway. From the time we meet Rhea, she is someone who will do whatever it takes to be part of the winning team. This is why she tries to get two big media companies together, and why she jumped ship when it doesn’t work out in her favor. 

Aquarius: Ewen

If there was ever a more detached character than Ewen, I’d like to see them. Ewen, Logan’s estranged brother, only appears a few times over the course of the last two seasons, but his presence is felt whenever he’s on-screen. As Greg’s grandfather, he tries to get him to leave the company in order to keep his inheritance. He rejects the lavish lifestyle that his brother has chosen to indulge in, though he still plays an important role in the company. 

Pisces: Connor

Connor Roy is forgettable. Both in and out of the context of the show, Connor is not a believable successor to his father’s company. Though it clearly gets to him that he is forgotten and ignored a lot of the time (Pisces is an emotional water sign, after all) his collection of chaotic hobbies and interests is what makes him an interesting character to watch. From gifting Logan Roy sourdough starter in a Tupperware container for his 80th birthday, to announcing his totally uncalled for presidential run in an embarrassing video that made him a laughing stock for most of season two, Connor Roy is intensely in touch with his emotions, and for that, he is a Pisces.

A writer, witch, and pop culture connoisseur.
Delaney Mills is a Senior at Temple University majoring in Communication Studies. She's has a love for fashion and Harry Styles. She can usually be found at the Bagel Hut on campus or in her bed watching New Girl. Follow her on Instagram @duhlaneyyy!!