This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Almost anything can be considered an “aesthetic” today, but is it okay for cultures to be part of this online trend?

With the never-ending evolution of technology, social media keeps growing every day, and so do micro trends, short-lived trends in specific markets or sectors. Microtrends have also been amplified in recent years thanks to TikTok and Instagram. They can range from clothing pieces to entire looks that after being trendy for a brief period, go back to being irrelevant to most internet users. 

Social media platforms like Instagram offer their users multiple elements that encourage the spread of microtrends, such as hashtags, reels, influencers, and its focus on visuals. Similarly, TikTok offers elements, such as the “For You” page’s algorithm, which delivers its users personalized content based on the videos and creators they interact with the most. This makes it easier for people to find creators that share and enjoy the same trends they do but also exposes them to other trends it believes the user will enjoy. Recently, I have noticed that this exposure to clothing and styles not only leads to the popularization of specific clothing items but also cultures.  

I have seen an increase in online fashion trends that are not only inspired by cultures, but the culture is the trend itself. To explain this phenomenon, I will be focusing on the “Latina aesthetic” or  “Latina fairy core,” which is directly inspired by Latin American cultures and some key elements associated with them, such as music, religion, and style.  

The way I have seen this trend represented on TikTok and Instagram is through the use of catholic imagery, like rosaries, crosses, and Virgin Mary necklaces paired with long skirts and dresses often highlighting the colors white, red, and black. Users often use actresses and characters who embody the idea of a Latina woman in these specific ways as their inspiration. Some examples are Catherine Zeta-Jones’ character in Legend of Zorro and Mexican actress Salma Hayek.   

I enjoy seeing elements from different cultures being appreciated and seen as beautiful. However, there is a misunderstanding of what being Latin American is when it is only seen as a visual representation of these trends. On social media, cultural trends, and aesthetics are usually appreciated at a surface level. Although catholic imagery, long skirts, and dresses are rather popular in many Latin American cultures, these are also colonial influences.  

According to 1883 Magazine, the colonization of most of Latin America by Spain deeply influenced the fashion and religious practices in the region. There is nothing wrong with recognizing that these elements form part of Latin American cultures today, but it is also important to not reduce the fashion in these countries to these specific trends.  

In general, when trying to wear looks that are popular amongst specific cultures, people should do their research, especially when sacred and religious elements are involved. They should also understand that those cultures are not defined by trending elements. That way, they can properly appreciate these cultures rather than appropriate them.  

Rosamelia is a journalism student at Temple University. Her interests include reading, fashion, and social justice. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her reviewing books on her bookstagram: @amelias_biblioteca.