Selena Gomez: A Voice of Hope

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Selena Gomez recently announced that she received a kidney transplant over the summer as a result of her lupus diagnosis. Fans and friends, such as Lady Gaga and Kesha, took to social media to show their love and support of the singer/actress. Others praised her for being so open about an issue that so many suffer from.

According to the Mayo Clinic, lupus is an autoimmune disease that attacks various systems of the body, including joints, tissues, and organs. While symptoms of lupus tend to be similar to other ailments, the most distinctive symptom is a rash on the face that mimics a butterfly. There is no cure for lupus, but there are treatments that aid in reducing the symptoms.

The Lupus Research Institute states that there are 1.5 million people affected by lupus. However, women are more likely than men to have it. In fact, 90% of lupus sufferers are women, and most of these women fall between the ages of 15 and 44.  Women of color are up to three times more likely to have the disease.

While Gomez has come forward about her disease, she is not the first celebrity to be open about sharing the struggles of living with a disease. Lady Gaga recently tweeted about her struggles with fibromyalgia, most recently having to cancel a tour date in Brazil due to hospitalization for pain. Other celebrities have also spoken openly about their struggles with various diseases.

Having celebrities such as Gomez talk about such matters can help those who are living with the disease. Seeing celebrities going through similar struggles humanizes them and allows people to see that they understand their fans’ struggles. For young people, having a celebrity role model who is fighting a similar battle can be comforting when times get tough.

Celebrities are in a position where they can use their voices to bring awareness to such issues, though it doesn’t always happen. It is no secret that celebrities tend to be wealthier than the ordinary citizen, and this allows them to be in a position where they are able to donate to causes that raise money for awareness and research.

Ashley Paskill is a journalism major. She transferred to Temple after receiving her Associate's degree in music from Montgomery County Community College. She hopes to include her loves of music and writing to be a music journalist. Ashley has a music review blog (musicallyreviewed.wordpress.com) and a blog dedicated to tribute bands (tributetribune.wordpress.com). She has also written for Fastweb, a financial aid database. To read more of Ashley's work, visit her portfolio site (ashleypaskill.wordpress.com).