Red Band Society: Episode 2 “Sole Searching”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Temple chapter.

Charlie introduces episode two with the powerful statement of walking a mile in someone’s shoes in order to understand who they are. As the camera pans over Nurse Jackson entering the hospital and Leo learning to walk with a prosthetic leg, Charlie goes on to say that the lesson can be a hard one to learn when feelings aren’t a cool thing to have and some people don’t even know how they feel to begin with.

The shows starts with Leo venting to the other teens about how he wants the day to be about Jordi. With his leg being removed, Jordi is going to need all the support in the world and Leo vows to be the first one he sees, forcing Nurse Jackson to reschedule his physical therapy appointment, which Leo isn’t bothered by.

While Jordi undergoes surgery, he has a chance to talk to Charlie who tells Jordi that he is there to help him get through it, but Jordi collapses before he is able to ask him anything else. Back in the surgical room, Dr.McAndrew realizes that he can no longer remove his leg after noticing cancer has spread to other parts of his body. He has a hard time figuring out how he will tell Jordi and confides in Nurse Jackson to give him the push he needs. And Leo’s dedication to Jordi vanishes once he hears the news about him getting to keep his leg, which throws him into a breakdown.

Kara and Emma both face challenging days in the hospital’s pediatric ward. Emma has to weigh-in, and to prepare she stuffs her bra with quarters, wears a heavy sweatshirt, and drinks water. Unfortunately, the naïve Nurse Brittany gets fooled and gets firm disapproval from Nurse Jackson. On the other hand, Kara’s moms come to visit and seem to only care about her if their reputations get boosted. Sara, Kara’s biological mother, and Daniella, her former nanny, prepare #HeartandSoul, a social media campaign meant to put Kara at the top of the list for a heart transplant. And though Emma and Kara are not the best of friends, Emma helps heal the relationship between Kara and her mothers, but not before mistaking Daniella for Kara’s biological mother.

Leo escapes his anger by attending a frat party so he can be like “everyone else.” It starts off well; he even makes out with a girl, but when his prosthetic leg starts to hurt, he lashes out at Dash who tries to take him back to the hospital. He seemingly hits rock bottom after calling the girl a slut when she tries to have sex with him. Though he apologizes and tries to run after her, his leg gives out. Back at the hospital, a search for Leo is brought to an end when Dash brings Nurse Brittany to him. After successfully bringing Leo back to Ocean Park, Nurse Brittany gains the approval she had been seeking from Nurse Jackson.

Back in Jordi’s operating room, Dr.McAndrew finally gets the courage to give Jordi the bad news and asks for a family member to sign off on treatment to which Jordi professes to having no family.

The episode ends with Kara’s mother’s leaving the decisions regarding the heart transplant up to her and Leo opening up to Nurse Jackson about his anger over not having someone who could be there for him so he wouldn’t feel alone to which she tells him that he can’t run away from his life. Leo ultimately decided to visit Jordi, who probably needs him more than ever.

The closing statement from Charlie leaves viewers with a lot to think about. Though you can’t always walk a mile in someone’s shoes, “sometimes the best thing you can do is sit beside them.”

Find the Red Band Society pilot recap here. 

Photo credits to Entertainment Weekly and Cinefilos.

Carine Lavache is a junior journalism major at Temple University. She loves to write and hopes her passion for magazine journalism brings her back to her hometown,New York, or Los Angeles. Fun fact? She has a twin sister! Carine can be reached at carine.lavache@temple.edu and carinelavache.weebly.com.
Lindsey is a senior magazine journalism major at Temple University. After she graduates in May she hopes to return to NYC, which she fell in love with this summer during her ASME internship at Real Simple magazine.